Analytical Biochemistry/Development Lead, Scientist/ Sr. Scientist, growing gene therapy start-up
bluebird bio (www.bluebirdbio.com) is a leading gene therapy company developing breakthrough treatments to transform the lives of people affected by severe genetic disorders. Our proprietary platform addresses the root cause of genetic diseases by placing a healthy version of the human gene into the patient's own extracted stem cells, and then transplanting these corrected stem cells back into the patient. bluebird bio is a clinical-stage company, and has established proof of concept for gene therapy in humans for two indications (Adrenoleukodystrophy and Beta Thalassemia) that illustrate the broad potential of our platform.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. We seek an experienced Scientist that will research and develop biochemical and biophysical characterization assays in support of clinical development of our novel products. These activities include the development of novel methods with state-of-the-art techniques and approaches for the characterization of complex viral, protein, and cellular products as we advance our candidates from discovery through regulatory submissions. We are looking for an innovative and passionate biochemist with the breadth of experience and drive to implement our vision for this function.
- Creating and driving the scientific strategy for novel analytics as a long-term value driver for our viral vector and cellular therapeutic products
- Leading a growing function that will require hands-on work to instruct and build the necessary skills within the group
- Management of day-to-day group activities including timeline and budget management and objective setting and execution in a growing analytical development group
- Responsible for internal development activities, as well as management and execution of analytical method transfer to contract testing laboratories
- Develop, implement and conduct bioanalytical and biophysical assays to support process and product characterization activities.
- Experience with characterization and quantitative analysis of complex biological mixtures utilizing state-of-the-art techniques, including, but not limited to chromatography, electrophoresis and gradient fractionation
- Familiarity with mass spectrometry, light scattering method and flow cytometry is desirable
- Review, design, and execution of analytical scopes of work and protocols to satisfy FDA and ICH guidelines
- Data analysis and review, method development, and conducting stability and other protein characterization studies
- This position will represent analytics in cross-functional team meetings
- Approximately 30 to 50% lab time
- MS with 8 to 10 years of experience or a PhD with 3 to 6 years of experience in biochemistry or analytical chemistry
- The ideal candidate will have an in-depth understanding and development-stage experience in protein biochemistry and separation sciences
- Experience in a GLP/GMP compliant environment
- Ability and experience to troubleshoot complex technical and scientific problems
- Experience preparing technical documents for internal distribution or inclusion in regulatory filings
- Strong ability to present data in a variety of team settings and actively participate in the departmental meetings as well as cross-functional area project teams in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work from multiple individuals
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a well-funded, privately-held, entrepreneurial company backed by prominent investors and recently named to the 2012 FierceBiotech Fierce 15. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that include stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
Please visit our website to apply. www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio, 840 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139 www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
MassBio is a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
Founded in 1985, MassBio represents over 600 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, research hospitals, and service organizations involved in life sciences and health care, and works to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs and events, industry information, and services.
- May 22, 2013 Drug Repurposing and Reformulation: At the Crossroads of IP, Clinical and Business Strategies
- May 8, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Massachusetts Life Sciences Hub: City Biz List - 5/6/2013
- May 8, 2013 Marlborough commended as tech hub: MetroWest Daily News - 5/7/2013
- May 6, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Life Sciences Hub in Massachusetts: PR.com - 5/5/2013
- May 6, 2013 Elections may have big impact on tech, biotech: Boston Globe - 5/5/2013