Automation Software Engineer
Based in Cambridge, Good Start Genetics, Inc. conducts genetic diagnostic carrier testing for the reproductive market. Our clinical molecular diagnostics laboratory is CLIA and CAP certified. Good Start Genetics is building a great team with experienced professionals. Please visit www.goodstartgenetics.com for more company information.
Good Start Genetics is seeking a full-time Automation Software Engineer.
Good Start Genetics is searching for an Automation Software Engineer who will serve an integral support role developing software to drive automated laboratory workflows. This position will work closely with the R&D team to refine software driving existing laboratory processes and develop software for new processes employing next-generation DNA sequencing and other technologies.
- Participate in development of the Python software that drives GSG’s laboratory automation
- Modify existing software to streamline existing workflows, and write new software to enable new workflows
- Become proficient in the scripting and operation of GSG’s liquid handling robotics platform
- Participate in the testing and validation of new liquid handling software and processes
- After receiving appropriate training, participate in maintenance and repair of liquid handling hardware
- Maintain, and help to generate, written standard operating procedures for workflows developed.
- Document changes made using internal ticketing system and source code repository, and prepare change control documentation for compliance with regulatory requirements
- Work efficiently and independently in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Work collaboratively as part of a small, interdisciplinary team of geneticists, computer scientists, and mathematicians / statisticians
We are looking for team players who are willing to accept personal accountability for successful job performance and who have a willingness to learn new skills, as well as continually improve existing skill set.
- BS/BA in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline.
- Programming experience under UNIX/Linux using both compiled (Java preferred) and interpreted (Python strongly preferred) languages
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate with others who are not subject-matter experts including Research Associates, Medical Technologists, and others in the Clinical Operations department
- Experience / familiarity with molecular biology techniques including PCR, molecular cloning, and/or DNA sequencing is a plus but not required
- Experience / familiarity with liquid handling automation is a plus but not required
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- High attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
To apply please reply to this post with a resume and cover letter which specifically addresses why you are interested in this positions, why you are qualified, specific examples of success in similar positions, your work style, and when you are available to begin working.
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Benefits package available includes: Medical, Dental, Life and disability insurance, 401(k) plan, bonus plan, paid vacation and holidays.
MassBio is a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
Founded in 1985, MassBio represents over 600 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, research hospitals, and service organizations involved in life sciences and health care, and works to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs and events, industry information, and services.
- May 22, 2013 Drug Repurposing and Reformulation: At the Crossroads of IP, Clinical and Business Strategies
- May 8, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Massachusetts Life Sciences Hub: City Biz List - 5/6/2013
- May 8, 2013 Marlborough commended as tech hub: MetroWest Daily News - 5/7/2013
- May 6, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Life Sciences Hub in Massachusetts: PR.com - 5/5/2013
- May 6, 2013 Elections may have big impact on tech, biotech: Boston Globe - 5/5/2013