Director, Project Management
This position is responsible for the leadership and development of the Project Management function within Facilities & Engineering. The Director will be accountable for successful delivery of capital and expense projects impacting Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Facilities & Engineering, Research, Process Development, Quality, Information Technology functions ensuring achievement of all operational, financial and schedule requirements. The individual will work extensively with Facilities & Engineering staff to develop strong relationships toward developing core project teams for success on behalf of our clients. The Director will manage and oversee capital and expense projects involving planning, design, reconfiguration or construction of company buildings, structures, production areas, warehousing facilities, laboratories, offices, utilities, systems, equipment as well as technology transfers and plant shutdowns. The individual will manage and oversee all aspects of projects including earned value management, risk management, change management, issue escalation and communications impacting multiple cross functional groups.
The individual will drive and coordinate the planning, management, scheduling and deployment of project deliverables in line with business requirements including compliance and regulatory standards. The Director will be accountable for the overall project portfolio and identify, organize, supervise all project related efforts and resources (direct hires & 3rd party contractors) to ensure top quality staff capable of delivering both fast track and long term capital and expense projects. The individual will lead and manage medium to large cross functional project teams and ensure the project team and sponsor’s objectives are consistent with the project’s stated key success factors and objectives. The Director must develop quality control processes, with responsibility for all construction related activit ies & schedules, including project milestones & timelines, HSE, construction costs management & material controls, security & administration enabling the company to meet or exceed its overall construction objectives.
The individual will be responsible to create and maintain project management guidelines, tools, templates, and other techniques to standardize and continuously improve project delivery. Candidates must have a minimum of 15-20 years of overall construction experience, including proven track record of success and increasing responsibility. Candidates must have a “hands-on" operating style, be results-oriented, with strong leadership, excellent communication (written, verbal, technical and presentation) and proven people management skills to build and develop a strong, cohesive operations team. Candidates must have a “value-add" mindset, a solid methodology & approach to operational challenges and solutions, and a strong work ethic to build an infrast ructure to meet the company’s demands. Candidates must also be able to prosper in a rapidly growing organization by effectively dealing with ambiguity and adapting to less structured situations as necessary.
Responsibilities: Functional management – Responsible for performance management and professional development of direct reports; allocate resources, assign priority to tasks and act as an advisor to senior management in delivery of Project Management services for Shire HGT; manage budgets and contract resources. Directly manage, mentor, coach, and develop staff to ensure behavior & actions align with expectations and requirements. Provide guidance to subordinates to foster individual/departmental development and growth. Operational support – Develop budget, goals and objectives for the department ensuring budget, resources, and planning are aligned with company objectives. Integrate operational efficiencies and effectiveness by identifying opportunit ies for advancement and improvement. Develop a plan to maintain high level of preparedness and continuous improvement - to include staffing and equipment/systems required to support ongoing and planned expansion or renovation of existing space, technology transfers and planned facility shutdowns. Creation of standards, programs/policies and systems to support the project management function. Actively participate to develop long range strategy (related to projects) to support the HGT business. Portfolio management - Prepare, issue and present technical reports for tracking, trending and monitoring of capital and expense project portfolio in support of the HGT business.
Education and Experience Requirements:
* Proven People Manager (10+ years of people management experience) with solid understanding of goal setting, performance management, coaching and career development activities.
* B.S. Degree in Construction Science, Mechanical Engineering or related fields w ith 12-15 years of working experience in Maintenance I Engineering organizations and understanding their specific requests, needs, and requirements as it relates to providing customer service to stakeholders.
* 12+ years experience with advanced knowledge of strategic & routine project activities preferably within a cGMP Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
* Knowledge and familiarity with biopharmaceutical research, animal research, quality control, process development laboratories, bulk bio-manufacturing, warehouse and data center facilities.
* Expert understanding of the Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) Methodology.
* Proven management experience with construction projects ranging from overall commercial build out of first generation (green field) to renovations/alterations of operational facilities, existing equipment & systems.
* Project management of direct and indirect (sub contract) Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) teams and companies with proven track record of excellent project management skills demonstrated for challenging client, complex interrelated or technically oriented projects.
* Intimate understanding of Facilities and Engineering operations in support of clinical and commercial manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals. Detailed knowledge and understanding of production facility shutdowns, routine operations support and technology transfers as they relate to project management roles & responsibilities.
* Experience in demonstrating leadership/influence and successfully working in a cross functional/matrix environment across multiple and diverse groups to achieve desired results.
* Experience and understanding of Six Sigma methodologies. Other Job Requirements:
* The ability to work at all HGT site locations as required. Incumbent will be required to carry a phone / Blackberry device and be on call as required to support operations.
* Project Management Institute (PMI) certification (desired).
* Professional engineer (desired) Shire's Brave culture offers employees with diverse backgrounds the opportunity to enable those with life altering conditions to lead better lives Shire is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
To apply for this position, please go to: