Head of Bioanalytical (associate director level or above)
Moderna Therapeutics is the first biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery and development of a new class of drugs, NativeTM proteins therapeutics. Leveraging the natural way in which proteins are made by humans, our proprietary modified messenger RNA (mRNA) enables the patient’s protein translation machinery to synthesize therapeutics without inducing an innate immune response. This approach envisions dosing a patient with stable, modified RNA that encodes a therapeutic protein of interest, that upon translation in a cell type, results in therapeutic treatment with high efficacy, low immunogenicity, and more biologically relevant dosing. The technology alleviates the need for laborious and expensive in vitro tissue culture or protein manufacture and purification. Our manufacturing process is cell-free. The technology is therefore a quantum advance in the field of drug development with great promise for novel ways of treating disease with direct application in the worldwide market of therapeutic biologics, which includes peptides, proteins, and antibodies. We are looking for smart, committed individuals who are looking to change the world by bringing new drugs to patients.
Manage and grow the modified mRNA Bioanalytical Department to meet technology development and research goals under aggressive timelines. Lead and implement a Bioanalytical group to conduct high throughput testing of in vitro and in vivo samples in order to advance Moderna’s mRNA technology platform and pipeline. This group’s responsibility will be to rapidly test biological samples for a variety of standardized readouts including protein expression, cytokines, and drug levels. This position reports directly to the CSO. PhD with 10+ years of bioanalytical experience. Ability to multi-task and meet technology development and research goals under aggressive timelines. Industry experience is also required.
- PhD with 10+ years experience in bioanalytics
- Industry experience required with in-depth knowledge of bioanalytical high throughput platforms
- Experience with nucleic acid therapies a plus
- Established track record of delivering multiple candidates to development
- Evidence of strategic thinking a plus
- Ability to manage and maintain scientific business relationships and contract research agreements
- Supervisory experience required
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Positive team building and teamwork skills
- Outstanding track record of publications required
- Performance of high throughput standardized in vitro assays on biological samples to measure protein expression, cytokine levels, and drug (mRNA) levels
- Help develop data package to support advancement of Moderna’s mRNA technology platform and pipeline through analysis of biological samples
- Develop, guide, and mentor scientists within bioanalytical group
- Establish collaborations with outside academic and industry experts
- Manage outside projects with CROs
- Accountability for project success and results delivery
- Interact closely with other groups within research, including Screening group
- Manage screening budget and resource allocation
- Communicate research development findings internally and externally as appropriate
We are looking for a high-energy candidate with ability to adapt to demands of high performance and form a very good collaborative environment with colleagues.