Plasmid Biologist, Process Development Scientist
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative Process Development team by contributing to the overall success of our plasmid based manufacturing approach. This new Scientist will join our group to design, develop and evaluate or recombinant DNA technologies for advancement of our production platform.
- Work with the Process Development team on optimizing, developing, and establishing procedures for plasmid manufacturing and fermentation systems.
- Perform molecular cloning and construction of novel vectors.
- Advance and develop transfection and gene delivery processes.
- Maintain management of CMO and vendors to support our platform.
- Support scale-up and operations for GMP production of recombinant plasmids.
- Assist in concentrations and purification of plasmid based products.
- Assist in writing and review of protocols and technical reports.
- Characterize and develop analytics for plasmid based products.
- BS with 5+ years/MS with 3-5 years/PhD with 1-2 years of experience in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering or related discipline.
- Proficient in general molecular biology techniques and demonstrated ability to design and execute scientific studies with technical excellence and relevant results.
- An understanding of manufacturing and tech transfer/scale-up experience is required.
- Experience in gene therapy, vaccines or biological methodology a plus.
- Experience working with bacteria for generation of recombinant proteins and plasmids.
- Track history of technology development for the manipulation and selection of bacterial cell lines.
- Familiarity with bacterial cell line transformation and screening for productivity.
- Experience with eukaryotic cell culture and transfection development.
- Experience with bioreactor fermentations and culture optimization.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex technical and scientific problems; and an in-depth understanding of aseptic processing.
- Ability to prepare technical documents for internal distribution or inclusion in regulatory filings.
- Ability to present data in a variety of team settings and actively participate in the departmental meetings as well as cross-functional area project teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) preferred.
- Experience in the development of orphan drugs.
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Attention to details.
- Excellent people leadership skills.
- Experience with batch, fed-batch and/or inducible fed-batch bioreactor technology.
- Should be highly motivated, flexible, and have excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a well-funded, privately-held, entrepreneurial company backed by prominent investors and recently named to the 2012 FierceBiotech Fierce 15. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
To be considered for this exciting career opportunity, please apply via our website.
bluebird bio, 840 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139 www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.