Sr. Specialist, Global Medical Information
Global Medical Information is a professional service that responds to unsolicited drug and disease state related inquiries from physicians and other healthcare providers and provides support to internal stakeholders. The Medical Information Senior Specialist will provide a critical role to ensure medical information materials are aligned and well-maintained.
The Medical Information Senior Specialist will take a lead role in developing and maintaining a comprehensive and medically accurate database. The Medical Information Senior Specialist will be responsible for inquiry case handling, quality review, and training of the Medical Information Call Center (MIC), all while ensuring compliance with Vertex policies and procedures. .
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain a comprehensive and medically accurate database for Vertex products – proactively and reactively.
- Utilize clinical expertise to develop timely, non-misleading, accurate, and scientifically balanced responses to unsolicited medical information inquiries.
- Develop responses in anticipation of trends in medicine as they relate to Vertex products.
- Proactively monitor the medical literature for new scientific information; identify publications that would be of scientific and business interest; perform critical analysis and synthesis of published medical and scientific literature.
- Train and mentor Medical Information junior staff.
- Develop in-depth therapeutic knowledge of disease, epidemiology, product and competitor product information; act as a resource to other internal functional groups and MIC.
- Support materials through the Medical-Legal approval process.
- Ensure quality monitoring of inquiry handling, ensure identification and reporting of potential adverse events and product complaints; and assess and provide guidance to the call center.
- Attend cross-functional meetings with key internal stake holders and ensure alignment of medical information materials.
- Assist in the development of departmental procedural guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Support the medical information booth at Vertex exhibits during medical/scientific congresses.
- Ensure compliance with Vertex policies and procedures.
- Master's Degree
- Minimum 1-2 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry or 1 year previous medical information experience required.
- Requires initiative and the ability to maintain a high level of productivity with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Strong technical/scientific writing skills and verbal communication.
- Excellent ability in searching medical literature, interpret and present scientific/clinical trial data, and understand statistical analyses.
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and literature management system (e.g. Reference Manager, EndNote).
- Some travel required Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine.
Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, Mass., we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
To Apply for this position, please CLICK HERE
MassBio is a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
Founded in 1985, MassBio represents over 600 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, research hospitals, and service organizations involved in life sciences and health care, and works to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs and events, industry information, and services.
- May 22, 2013 Drug Repurposing and Reformulation: At the Crossroads of IP, Clinical and Business Strategies
- May 8, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Massachusetts Life Sciences Hub: City Biz List - 5/6/2013
- May 8, 2013 Marlborough commended as tech hub: MetroWest Daily News - 5/7/2013
- May 6, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Life Sciences Hub in Massachusetts: PR.com - 5/5/2013
- May 6, 2013 Elections may have big impact on tech, biotech: Boston Globe - 5/5/2013