Associate Scientist, Cellular Immunotherapy
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative Cellular Immunotherapy team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. This new Associate Scientist will join our group to develop and evaluate novel cellular immunotherapies for clinical applications.
- Use lentivirus vectors to genetically modify freshly isolated CD34+ cells and T lymphocytes – Expand the gene modified cells in culture.
- Use flow cytometry-based assays to characterize primary CD34+ stem cells and T lymphocytes freshly isolated and following in vitro culture.
- Use cell-based assays to assess the functional characteristics of genetically modified CD34+ cells and T lymphocytes.
- Prepare all technical reports needed in support of an exploratory project moving to process development.
- Exercise independent judgment in development of new methods, techniques and evaluation criteria.
- BS/MS cell biology, immunology or related discipline with 3+ years' experience in a relevant field.
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture, with specific experience isolating and propagating in vitro culture of human CD34+ cells and human T lymphocytes.
- Experience with viral vector or vaccine production is a plus.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Excel. Flow cytometry data analysis software experience a plus.
- Proven ability to effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with members of other functional groups.
- Understanding of safe lab practices and BSL requirements.
- Should be highly motivated, flexible, and have excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio, 840 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139 www.bluebirdbio.com