Assay Transfer Technologist
Based in Cambridge, Good Start Genetics, Inc. conducts genetic diagnostic carrier testing for the reproductive market. Our clinical molecular diagnostics laboratory is CLIA and CAP certified. Good Start Genetics is building a great team with experienced professionals. Please visit www.goodstartgenetics.com for more company information.
Good Start Genetics is seeking a full-time Assay Transfer Medical Technologist
We seek a highly motivated individual who can utilize his/her superior organizational skills to support the functions of our clinical laboratory operations. This position will report to the Laboratory Manager but also coordinate with the Laboratory/Medical Directors and the Research and Development (R&D) group.
Technology transfer role:
- Ensures a smooth transition of clinical assays from the R&D group to the Clinical and Laboratory Operations group.
- Plans, implements and documents clinical validation studies
- Defines and documents clinical validation plans
- Coordinates with R&D to obtain and finalize SOPs, assay controls and reagents
- Oversees clinical validation studies to ensure timely completion, per project deadlines
- Documents clinical validation studies for review and signature by the Laboratory/Medical Directors.
- Ensures all reagents, assay controls, SOPs, worksheets are finalized and ready for clinical testing at project completion.
- Provides training for Medical Technologists as needed.
Medical Technologist role:
- Performs the technical duties of a clinical molecular laboratory technologist in order to provide coverage for absences. Techniques may include: DNA extraction, Next Generation sequencing, Sanger sequencing, capillary electrophoresis, Southern blotting, mutation detection using DNA-based assays.
- Acts proactively to flag and resolve exceptions with assays, documents and clinical validations.
- Maintains required assay documentation including proper specimen handling, labeling and preparation of worksheets.
- Provides competency assessments for Medical Technologists as needed.
We are looking for team players who are willing to accept personal accountability for successful job performance and who have a willingness to learn new skills, as well as continually improve existing skill set.
- At least a M.S. in Molecular Biology, Medical technology, Biology, or related degree with four years’ experience processing clinical samples for molecular diagnostic assays
- Or a B.S. in Molecular Biology, Medical technology, Biology, or related degree with seven years of experience processing clinical samples for molecular diagnostic assays
- Must have a B.S. from a U.S. institution or have official documentation of equivalency. Degree must include the following course work: 16 semester hours of chemistry (at least six of these in inorganic chemistry), 16 semester hours of biology courses relevant to medical sciences and at least three semester hours of mathematics.
- At least one full year of experience running and trouble-shooting Southern blot assays
- Proven success in coordinating work across department lines using influencing and communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office and email, particularly Excel.
- Experience with CLIA Quality Management in a Molecular diagnostic laboratory
- Familiarity with high through-put platforms, thermal cyclers, capillary electrophoresis instruments, and other common laboratory equipment.
- Strong analytical skills
- High attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Benefits package available includes: Medical, dental, vision insurance, Life and disability insurance, 401(k) plan, bonus plan, paid vacation and holidays
To apply please submit your resume which specifically addresses why you are interested in this position, why you are qualified, specific examples of success in similar positions, your work style, and when you are available to begin workingtocareers@gsgeneticscom
No phone calls please. Resumes form third party vendors will not be accepted.
MassBio is a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
Founded in 1985, MassBio represents over 600 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, research hospitals, and service organizations involved in life sciences and health care, and works to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs and events, industry information, and services.
- May 22, 2013 Drug Repurposing and Reformulation: At the Crossroads of IP, Clinical and Business Strategies
- May 8, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Massachusetts Life Sciences Hub: City Biz List - 5/6/2013
- May 8, 2013 Marlborough commended as tech hub: MetroWest Daily News - 5/7/2013
- May 6, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Life Sciences Hub in Massachusetts: PR.com - 5/5/2013
- May 6, 2013 Elections may have big impact on tech, biotech: Boston Globe - 5/5/2013