Cancer is a devastating disease of the genome that affects nearly everyone at some pointin his or her life. This is a unique opportunity to make significant contributions towardsCancer research as part of the Cancer Genome Analysis group at the Broad Institute, a worldleader in cancer genome research.
Firehose, an application developed at The Broad Instituteteam, is responsible for managing and executing analysis on ~1,000Tb of primary nextgeneration sequencing and array data in a reliable manner consuming ~2,000,000 cpuhoursper year and interacting directly with the research scientists to deliver world-classcancer genome analysis.
The Cancer Genome Analysis group @ The Broad Institute is searching for a softwareengineer to help develop & support functionality for Firehose.The ideal candidate will have contributed to the successful delivery of on-time & on-targetsoftware systems in a commercial company or a large research institute. S/he must haveexpert level skills in object-oriented design, Java, and design/implementation of highlyscalable and adaptive systems.
- On going design, implementation & refactoring of existing Firehose modules, incollaboration with computational biologists
- Work collaboratively with scientists to define, prototype and release newfunctionality- Proactively communicate risks and deficiencies in plans to group leaderQualifications
- BS in computer science, computer engineering, bioinformatics or related discipline;advanced degree a strong plus
- Expert knowledge of Java, dynamic web client design/implementation, databasedesign/implementation, Unix/Linux; highly-scalable and adaptive systemsexperience; Knowledge of Oracle, Hibernate, dynamic web technologies (such asJQuery & Prototype) a plus
- Experience in UI design and Usability a plus
- 2-5 years of directly applicable experience- Track record of successful delivery in commercial businesses- Experience integrating third party software/hardware products into in houseapplications
- Extraordinary oral and written communication skills, ability to persuade
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment- Experience with High Performance Compute and Cloud technologies a plus
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE