Senior Science Writer, Donor Relations
Dana Farber Cancer Institute
September 20, 2013
Located in Boston, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Since its inception, Dana-Farber has placed a unique emphasis on all forms of research relevant to the eradication of cancer while, at the same time, providing both cutting-edge and highly compassionate comprehensive patient care. This distinguished model is absolutely necessary and very expensive. As a result, hundreds of thousands of donors entrust Dana-Farber with more than $160 million in philanthropic gifts every year. Science Writers translate the latest accomplishments from our outstanding group of investigators into compelling narrative reports that update donors on the impact of their gifts.
Our team of Science Writers is a key link between our dedicated oncologists, scientists, fundraisers, and donors who comprise the wide Dana-Farber community. Science Writers take complex information and communicate it clearly, concisely, and accurately to explain key concepts to Institute donors. As a Science Writer, you interpret some of the foremost challenges in cancer care and research in order to convey scientific insights that are both deep and broad.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Thoroughly research and understand all aspects pertaining to a broad portfolio of complex reports that spans multiple areas of cancer research and care as well as new strategic priorities at Dana-Farber. This includes reading, analyzing, and interpreting scientific papers, results from clinical trials, and content from technical lectures.
- Skillfully conduct interviews with some of Dana-Farber’s most established scientific leaders and cancer care professionals to elicit new perspectives, scientific context, specific accomplishments, incremental and major results, direct quotes, ideas on how to approach the report, names and contact information of other people to interview, and more.
- Plan and write long-form compelling reports that convey the impact of philanthropic giving. Work closely with frontline fundraisers to develop appropriate tone, content, and donor approach.
- Write and edit reports in a timely fashion to meet specified deadlines.
- Review for scientific accuracy in the work of other science writers on the writing team. Assist other writers to formulate detailed concepts, convey research findings, and prepare written interpretations of data and other information for a primarily lay readership.
- Deliver presentations at writers’ team meetings about scientific writing trends, news, research, and events; or lead scientific tutorials on technical concepts.
- Function as a contributing writer for speaking points, scientific briefs, proposals, and marketing collateral, as needed.
- Conduct interviews with frontline fundraisers, donors, and faculty, and write short donor profile stories celebrating new major gifts for the donor newsletter, Impact;
- Actively update internal tracking systems to document information pertaining to interview subjects, the status of research studies, unusual situations, helpful sources, editorial reviews, and more.
- Assume other duties as necessary.
Reports to Assistant Director, Donor Relations. There is no supervisory responsibility for this position. This individual will work with a variety of individuals throughout the Institute, and collaborate with the members of the Donor Relations team and other Development staff.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, science writing, science journalism, or related field required. Advanced degree in biology, chemistry, science writing, science journalism, or related field preferred. Six or more years of experience in science writing preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
The Senior Science Writer must be able to express ideas clearly and logically and should love to write. Curiosity, a broad range of knowledge, and perseverance also are necessary. The Senior Science Writer must first understand the science, and then translate that knowledge accurately into a form that is both interesting and intelligible to the donor. A proven ability to work both collaboratively and independently, and produce high-quality work on deadline is required. The Senior Science Writer is comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines. Strong customer-service orientation to understand and assist a wide range of internal stakeholders is required. The Senior Science Writer must commit to the highest standards of customer service and professionalism.
Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 5:00PM. Some night and weekend hours may be required.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer - committed to diversity and inclusion in our workforce.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to www.danafarbercareers.com, Job ID 24105