Manager Engineering - Process Automation Systems
The ETS Manager will lead and drive the engineering function supporting mission critical Process Automation Systems used for the manufacture of commercial and clinical products at multiple Shire sites. The scope of this group will include supporting the following systems:
* SCADA/PLC systems
* Distributed control systems
* Enterprise data management systems The ETS Manager will lead and manage a group of automation engineers and represent the automation engineering function to other partner groups such as Quality, Validation, Manufacturing, Process Development and Facilities, ensuring the quality of work and appropriate resources are in place to support ongoing operations and projects requiring automation engineering.
Responsibilities: 50% Functional Management -
Responsible for performance management and professional development of direct reports. Allocates resources, assigns priority to tasks and acts as an advisor to senior management in delivery of value-added services for Engineering. Manages budgets and contract resources. 25% Operational Support and Technical Ownership - Responsible for development of technical subject matter expertise and provision of adequate automation resources (internally and externally) to ensure system reliability, robustness and maximum availability. Accountable for the technical quality of automation systems supporting all areas at Shire.
These areas include the following:
* HMI/SCADA (GE Proficy iFIX) and PLCs (Siemens, Allen Bradley)
* Network interface to the Shire network
* Honeywell Experion DCS
* Finesse TruBio DV (Emerson Delta V)
* OSIsoft PI system 15% Project Support -The ETS Manager will ensure that project sub-teams are resourced appropriately (internally and externally) to meet their goals and objectives and ensure that projects are on time and on budget. In addition to engineering design resources, systems commissio
ning and qualification support will be appropriately resourced to meet these objectives 10% Systems Engineering - The ETS Manager will liaison with Manufacturing, Facilities, Manufacturing Science, Process Development, Quality Assurance, and Validation in developing requirements and recommendations for automation system modifications/upgrades/retrofits. The ETS Manager will develop technical solutions to complex problems and work with project managers/engineers to complete design and engineering projects within schedule, budget and quality constraints. Education and Experience Requirements: Bachelor's degree in Engineering (ME/EE/Automation) and ten plus (10+) years of experience in an automation engineering function within a bio-tech/pharmaceutical manufacturing environment. Bio-tech automation engineering experience is preferred. Five (5+) plus years of management of automation engineering and technical support personnel is preferred. Excellent communication, technical, organizational, leadership, and mentoring skills are required. Must effectively lead in and embrace a team-based culture. Knowledge of software development lifecycle (SDLC), Good Automated Manufacturing Practice (GAMP) 21CFR Part 11 compliance, ISA S88 "Batch Control" ISA S95 "Enterprise Control System Integration" ISA 18.2 "Management of Alarm Systems" QbD and QRM based on ICH Q8, Q9, and Q10 guidelines and experience implementing systems following the ASTM E2500 framework is desirable. Demonstrated ability to effectively coach others and lead change is required.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
* Ability to problem solve, provide leadership and strategic direction of corporate initiatives.
* Proven troubleshooting, problem solving and investigational skills.
* Skill in measurement, analysis, and continuous improvement in engineering organizations.
* Experience with the establishment and u
tilization of risk assessment systems.
* Management of capital and operating expense budgets Technical management:
* Demonstrated experience in requirements definition, specification & design, verification, and acceptance and release of automation systems for facilities equipment.
* Knowledge of biotech/pharmaceutical processing methods, facilities, utilities and equipment.
* Knowledge of cGMP procedures and good engineering practices (GEP).
* Applies industry-wide technical knowledge in development of novel approaches to automation systems engineering and design.
* Develops and implements engineering practices, standards or guidelines.
* Experience with the following control systems desired: GE Proficy iFIX HMI/SCADA, Allen Bradley, Siemens, Honeywell Experion, Emerson DeltaV, OSIsoft PI system. Shire's Brave culture offers employees with diverse backgrounds the opportunity to enable those with life altering conditions to lead better lives
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, Shire is committed to a diverse workforce. US Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 484-595-8400.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE