Laboratory Operations Manager
Addgene is a thriving, non-profit founded in 2014 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes DNA-based materials called plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene’s plasmid collection is used to advance research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cancer, heart disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
We are a young, growing company offering opportunities for scientists and non-scientists alike to contribute to the scientific community.
Learn more about Addgene at www.addgene.org.
Manage and oversee the lab team (technicians, interns, box maker) and the lab processes. Regularly perform Laboratory Technician functions.
Essential Functions/Job Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee the lab team (technicians, interns, box maker) and the lab processes
- In conjunction with Sr. Laboratory Operations Manager, establish and implement policies and protocols for lab functions
- Provide input for equipment and other lab purchases and order laboratory supplies
- Fulfill requests for DNA samples; prepare samples for shipment, print order fulfillment documents, and package samples into boxes for shipment
- Process incoming DNA samples; use Addgene’s computer software to track incoming samples, transform DNA into bacteria, grow and store bacteria.
- Conduct quality control of DNA samples; prepare DNA and conduct restriction digests.
- M.S. degree with 3-6 years’ laboratory experience; BS/BA with 5-10 years’ laboratory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior supervisory training and/or experience required.
- Familiarity with general computer software, including MS Office and web applications
- Self-motivated, organized, able to work independently
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English; strong written and oral communication skills required
- Able to type and pipette
- Able to stand and/or sit for up to 2 hours at a time
- Occasionally will need to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
Start Date February/March 2014
Job Location Addgene is located at One Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA. It is close to MIT, walking distance from the Red Line, and on several bus routes including CT2 and 68.
Applications Please send brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com.