Associate Scientist, Pharmacology
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative Pharmacology team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene-based immunotherapy approach. This new Associate Scientist in Pharmacology will provide laboratory support for in vivo animal studies, including mouse tumor models and stem cell engraftment models, and assist with maintenance and functioning of in-house vivarium.
- The in vivo duties involve the establishment of xenogeneic and syngeneic mouse tumor models and murine stem cell engraftment models. Duties will include mouse handling, performance of routine injections (sc, ip, iv, id), monitoring of animal health, collection of blood samples by OSP, measurement of tumors, necropsy followed by collection of blood and tissues for in vitro assays and collection and recording of data.
- Assist with establishment of new animal models as needed, including running pilot studies for model development and trouble-shooting.
- Working with the group, will assist with maintenance of small in-house vivarium, duties include daily health checks, maintaining logbooks, ordering of supplies, once per week husbandry and cleaning of facility and maintaining records of mouse receipt and inventory.
- May also be responsible for in vitro assays utilizing procedures such as ELISA and maintaining tumor cell lines.
- BA/BS or MS with 1-3 years experience in the Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with in vivo animal studies required, including animal handling, expertise in performing routine injections, necropsy, collection of blood and tissues
- Experience in maintaining laboratory notebook and following protocols, familiarity with programs such as Excel for data entry and analysis
- Comfortable with animal care, husbandry, assistance with maintenance of vivarium
- GLP lab experience a plus
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superb organizational and communications, both written and oral, skills and “do-what-it-takes” attitude
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and trades under the symbol BLUE. We were named to the 2012 FierceBiotech Fierce 15. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
bluebird bio, 150 Second Street, Cambridge, MA 02141 www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.