Associate Director Manufacturing Systems
Bristol-Myers Squibb has announced plans for an expansion of its large-scale biologics manufacturing facility in Devens, Massachusetts. The expansion will create a mammalian cell biologics center of excellence through the introduction of biologics development and clinical trial manufacturing capabilities to the site. Both represent new capabilities for Devens, a site that in its early years has focused solely on large-scale, bulk biologics manufacturing.
1. Lead the Manufacturing Systems group, which is responsible for all systems involved in the plant (process automation systems development/support, and manufacturing execution system recipe support).
2. Specify control system hardware and direct equipment installation.
3. Perform instrumentation startup and troubleshooting as it relates to the process control system.
4. Review control panel layout and design including power distribution and grounding requirements as well as IO assignments.
5. Establishes and communicates site business objectives and requirements for Manufacturing Systems consistent with company biologics and Manufacturing Systems Information Technology strategy.
6. Working closely with Manufacturing Systems Information Technology, is responsible for the implementation, testing, and validation of new product recipes as part of the overall technical transfer process.
7. Effectively manages assigned resources to address priorities, meet schedules, maximize productivity, reduce costs, and increase efficiencies.
8. Develops and leads a high performance team responsible for manufacturing systems, manages the recruitment and development of staff. Invests in the development of current and future leadership through assignment of development opportunities, coaching, mentoring, and effective administration of rewards and recognition.
9. Establishes and communicates high performance standards, defines clear accountability, and leads by adopting continuous improvement strategies to reduce operational variances and reduce cycle time.
10. Develops annual operating budget/staffing levels and manages operation to achieve them.
11. Participates actively in site Senior Leadership Team to establish site mission, annual goals and desired culture while undertaking supportive actions which build commitment to these values, objectives and sustained site-wide teamwork.
1. Knowledge of engineering and science generally attained through studies resulting in a B.S. in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering, a related Automation discipline or its equivalent.
2. A minimum of 10 years of manufacturing experience including five plus years managing complex manufacturing execution systems, documented by a solid history of technical accomplishments and a proven track record in developing control system software.
3. A minimum of 2 years in a Supervisor/Manager position preferred.
4. Mastery of engineering principles as enumerated in ISA S88 Batch Process Control and the utilization of recipe driven production systems.
5. Demonstrated understanding of engineering documentation such as P and IDs, Process Flow diagrams and Standard Operating Procedures.
6. Strong knowledge of cGMP particularly as it applies to biologics manufacturing and automated systems.
7. Proven ability working in a matrix environment and leading multi-level / cross functional teams to achieve the highest performance in meeting site and departmental objectives.
8. Occasional business related travel is required, not generally exceeding 4 nights per month.