Variant Science Intern
Genetic Variant Clinical Assessment Internship
Location: Woburn MA
Length of Internship: Summer 2014
Internship Pay: Hourly wage commensurate with education and experience
Internship Type: 30-40 hrs/week
Courtagen Life Sciences, Inc. offers clinical genetic testing services to clinicians who specialize in pediatric neurological disorders. Courtagen tests patient samples using large next generation DNA sequencing panels targeted to help diagnose and treat mitochondrial disease, epilepsy and autism spectrum disorders. Genetic variation is found in each patient sample and must be assessed for potential clinical impact as part of the test reporting. The intern will be part of the genetic variant clinical assessment team and work will be done within cloud computing to:
- Evaluate Next Generation Sequencing data for quality at specific loci
- Evaluate genetic variants for potential pathogenicity by using
- RNA splice prediction
- Multiple sequence alignment/evolutionary conservation prediction
- Literature search and evaluation
- Assist in report generation
The internship will also provide the following training:
- Learn about clinical level DNA sequencing
- Learn and apply HIPAA and other regulatory guidelines
- Learn about a spectrum of neurological disorders
- Exposure to the workings of a biotech company and opportunities to interact with and learn from Scientists, Bioinformaticians, Clinicians, Marketing and Sales professionals.
- Applicants of most training levels are encouraged to apply as the internship can be tailored. Thus those with or working on their Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees or PhDs may apply. For undergraduates, those beyond their junior year of education are preferred.
- Biological sciences education (such as any or all of the following course work: genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, physiology, neurobiology, etc).
Please email the following materials with “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION” in the subject line to Elizabeth Holland to email@example.com
- Cover letter, including a statement of available start date and working hours
- University transcripts (official or unofficial)