Senior Bioprocess Engineer
Senior BioProcess Engineer
This individual will be a key contributor on a team tasked to characterize the physical and biochemical interactions of Joule’s proprietary strains with the industrial production environment for the purpose of optimizing the efficient, low cost photosynthetic production of renewable fuels. The Sr. BioProcess Engineer will report to the Vice President, Biology Operations and manage at least one scientist or engineer. The main role of the Sr. BioProcess Engineer will be to execute process optimization experiments on scaled-down photobioreactor platforms and then to help translate these advancements to outdoor and pilot-scale pilot scale production systems.
- Execute photobioreactor research projects that will continually build the knowledge base of Joule in the area of commercial scale photobioreactor process operation and performance using recombinant photosynthetic organisms
- Design, execute and analyze bench scale and pilot scale experiments to characterize the production design/operating space for Joule’s proprietary photosynthetic organisms
- Design and communicate test plans to execute photobioreactor experiments in Joule’s outdoor development and pilot scale test systems for the purpose of confirming laboratory results and identifying critical process parameters unique to larger outdoor systems
- As required, travel to Joule’s facility in Hobbs, NM to coordinate and troubleshoot development and demonstration projects
- Assist in the transfer of new processes Joule’s scale-up facilities, including the authoring and reviewing of SOPs, batch records and experimental reports
- Keep current in the state-of-the-art of photobioreactor research in the literature and become one of the company experts in photobioreactor technology and bioprocess development
- Provide a key point of contact between the Biology, Bioprocess and Engineering teams to ensure that the resulting production processes optimizes for strain, process and design
Candidates will have a Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering or equivalent with 2 – 4 yrs. of relevant experience optimizing bioreactor or fermentation performance of industrial strains or an M.S. in Biochemical Engineering or equivalent with 8 – 10 yrs. of relevant experience optimizing bioreactor or fermentation performance of industrial strains. Ideally, the candidate will have some experience with photosynthetic organisms or photobioreactors. Experience with statistical design of experiments (DOE) is highly desired.
The candidate must be able to formulate a novel research program to address a specific photobioreactor development question or problem and be able to execute that program. Excellent aseptic culturing technique and considerable experience with bioreactor sterilization and axenic operation is desired. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.