Manager/Sr. Manager, R & D Finance
Manager/Senior Manager, R&D Finance
Acceleron is a publicly traded, clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of novel protein therapeutics for cancer and rare diseases. The company is a leader in understanding the biology of the TGF-β protein superfamily, a large and diverse group of molecules that are key regulators in the growth and repair of tissues throughout the human body, and in targeting these pathways to develop important new medicines. Acceleron has built a highly productive R&D platform that has generated innovative clinical and preclinical protein therapeutic candidates with novel mechanisms of action. These protein therapeutic candidates have the potential to significantly improve clinical outcomes for patients with cancer and rare diseases.
The company completed its initial public offering in September of 2013. The company employs approximately 80 – 90 employees at its Cambridge, MA facilities and has a market capitalization of approximately $1 billion.
Acceleron Pharma is seeking a Manager/Senior Manager, R&D Finance reporting to the Controller. This role supports Acceleron’s clinical organization with financial planning, clinical study budgeting, accounting, and analysis, strategic sourcing, vendor contract tracking. This “business partner” will support quality decision making and execution in the clinical function to help ensure the clinical team can most effectively contribute to project goals and value creation for Acceleron within budgeted guidelines. Additionally, the role will be responsible for GAAP accounting for all accruals related to clinical and GLP pre-clinical toxicology and safety studies.
Candidates for this role will demonstrate strong knowledge and exposure to the clinical development process, and have both financial management and outsourcing / vendor management experience. Key personal competencies for success include the ability to master both strategic and operational issues, the ability to dynamically handle multiple competing priorities, outstanding teaming and collaboration skills, excellent communication skills, and a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Maintain detailed clinical and pre-clinical study forecast and accrual models to support budgeting and GAAP accounting for studies.
- Book and reconcile clinical trial accruals and provide variance analysis.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive budgets/forecasts for all clinical operational activities, including clinical studies, data management / stats, medical writing, etc.
- Provide analytical support and ad hoc reporting to the clinical team to support key strategic and financial decisions (e.g., retrospective study cost analysis and benchmarking, insource versus outsourcing decisions).
- Provide functional-level data and analysis to corporate FP&A process; acts as the Finance department’s liaison with Clinical Operations.
- Provide financial support to the strategic and operational outsourcing activities for clinical development.
- Serve as Finance representative on development program teams.
- Lead the improvement and standardization of processes and procedures, including performance metrics associated with vendor selection and management.
- Minimum of 4-7 years of experience in finance in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology company supporting R&D operations; MBA or similar preferred
- GAAP accounting experience, including skill with GL systems
- Financial planning and management experience, including skill with budgeting tools and clinical trial budgeting
- Strong organizational skills
- Collaborative working style, ability to foster effective working relationships within a team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
*Recruiters - please do not send unsolicited resumes to this posting.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT: