Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Virology
Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Virology
Novel Gene Therapy Platform
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. We seek a Virologist to establish, lead and conduct research activities related to understanding the molecular mechanisms of viral transduction of hematopoietic cells and application toward the development of novel variants with improved transduction. The successful candidate will also be responsible for developing long-term strategic goals and tactical objectives related to cell and gene therapy programs
About the position:
- Design and perform molecular virology research work, particularly on viral vectors, including the design and generation of new vectors with potentially increased potency
- Contribute molecular virology expertise to other programs and departments including process development, QC and with collaborating institutes
- Facilitate collaboration with academic centers and consultants as necessary to complete investigative studies
- Seamlessly integrate into program development and scientific teams involved in multidiscipline approaches to problem solving
- Management of 1 to 2 scientific staff may be required
- Responsible for the efficient running, cleanliness and tidiness of the laboratory
- PhD in Virology or Molecular Biology with extensive training and several years of research in Virology
- 5+ years of overall experience in related scientific fields is preferred, pharmaceutical or related industry experience working on drug development teams would be advantageous
- A strong understanding of cell and virus interactions, viral entry, recombinant viral vector construction, experience in the vaccine and/or cell and gene therapy field is a plus
- An understanding of the early stage drug discovery and development process
- Strategic thinker who can evaluate risk and develop effective solutions through an integrated multi-disciplined decision-making approach
- Strong verbal and written skills; ability to provide focus and clarity; able to handle confidential information and material appropriately
- Ability to anticipate resource needs and helps establish priorities
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines
- Demonstrated technical leadership skills and well developed written and oral communication skills.
- Superb communications—both written and oral skills and “do-what-it-takes” attitude.
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Be ready to embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself.
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and trades under the symbol BLUE. We were named to the 2012 FierceBiotech Fierce 15. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
bluebird bio, 150 Second Street, Cambridge, MA 02141 www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.