Principal Research Scientist - Gastrointestinal Immunology/Pharmacology
Avaxia is a clinical-stage biotechnology company that is a leader in the growing field of gut-targeted therapeutics, which are orally administered, minimally absorbed drugs designed to act locally in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Our lead clinical candidate, AVX-470 is a transformative product which offers potentially improved safety and efficacy over existing anti-TNF therapies by focusing TNF suppression only where needed in the diseased gut. Avaxia sources its antibodies from the colostrum (early milk) of dairy cows that have been immunized with the target of interest. Bovine colostral antibodies naturally resist digestion, which enables them to survive and act in the gut, and can be generated against any target that is accessible from the lumen of the intestines. Avaxia plans to use its gut-targeted antibody platform to develop therapeutics to address serious diseases including celiac disease, metabolic disease and GI acute radiation syndrome.
We are seeking an energetic, highly motivated individual to drive a deep understanding of the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of Avaxia’s gut-targeted biologics. This Principal Research Scientist will be responsible for leading efforts to elucidate the physiological basis of gut-stable antibody and protein drug activity in the intestinal tract, using animal models and clinical samples to optimize pharmacokinetics and therapeutic efficacy. S/he will be an outstanding scientist with understanding of the gastrointestinal environment in health and disease states, strong analytical skills, a passion for drug discovery, and a strong publication record. The successful candidate will conduct laboratory experiments, and collaborate effectively with a small internal research and development team as well as a network of contract research organizations and academic collaborators. Additional responsibilities will include support for drug formulation and novel drug delivery systems, preparation of regulatory documents, and managing research associates.
▪ Ph.D. or equivalent in pharmacology, physiology, or a related discipline plus a strong knowledge base in gastrointestinal biology and mucosal immunology
▪ Postdoctoral training plus 5
– 7 years experience in a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or related research environment conducting in vitro and in vivo preclinical studies, particularly related to inflammatory bowel disease
▪ Successful track record in contributing to drug development
▪ Excellent writing and presentation skills, including experience in preparation of regulatory documents
▪ Familiarity with GLP requirements
▪ Excellent command of statistical analysis tools and approaches
▪ Experience in successful selection, negotiation, and management of contract research organizations
▪ Experience managing Research Associates and willingness to train/mentor others
▪ Expertise in immunohistochemistry and quantitative image analysis is highly desired
▪ High personal and professional standards of ethics and integrity, and high level of energy and enthusiasm
▪ Willing to do what is needed to make a small company successful
Avaxia Biologics provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Resumes may be submitted to: HR@AvaxiaBiologics.com
Avaxia Biologics is an Equal Opportunity Employer