Director Search & Evaluation Neurology
EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group. We strive to create value and benefit patients by transforming medical science into breakthrough solutions in our core therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of expertise.
- Develop key network and contacts for potential Licensing and BD opportunities in designated therapeutic areas (TIPs)
- Promote Merck Serono/EMD Serono as the partner of choice in therapeutic area (TA) specific diseases at business partnering meetings and conferences and maintain strong high-quality partner network
- Establish contact with potential collaboration partners in Academia, Biotechs, Small and Large Pharma
- Participate in External Opportunities Review meetings to align on business needs and strategic prioritization
- Keep opportunity pipeline tracking up-to-date (ensure data entry of new opportunities into the External Innovation databases and systems)
- Lead initial scientific and business review of opportunities to assess value for external opportunities
- Develop a strong knowledge base around designated disease areas in collaboration with TIP Leadership.
- Participate and understand medical and scientific strategy within the Therapeutic Area’s and attend key Leadership meetings and Governace committees, such as the PRMs, MTMs and DOC, as required.
- Along with the Therapeutic Area Leadership develop key strategic documents outlining the technology needs, academic collaborations and future asset acquisition of drug candidates in the small molecule and biologics space.
- Develop strong working interfaces with early and late development groups, Commercial and BD functions.
- Working with Therapeutic Area Leadership (TIPs) develop cross functional due diligence teams for rapid, comprehensive and scientific evaluation of licensing opportunities accompanied by a business case for presentation to Governance committees such as the DOC, BDSG, PEC, GL etc.
- Manage and co-chair the due diligence team to high quality and tight timelines so as to ultimately provide a strong and positive professional image of Merck Serono to Internal and External partners
Accountabilities /responsibilities for Translational Innovation Platform (TIP) scope options/deals:
- Conduct worldwide scouting for licensing and partnering options for all types of deals (within TIP scope and pre-commercial)
- Lead the search and evaluation process to identify licensing opportunities in the field of the respective TA that are in line with Merck Serono/EMD Serono strategy
- Responsible for early evaluation activities and support of generation of key deliverables for business case, including participation in due diligence and supporting development of the Clinical Development Plan (CDP) and Target Product Profile (TPP) for new opportunities
- Ensure appropriate transfer of key findings and insights to subsequent licensing discussions, especially key findings learned through early evaluation processes and as result of discussions with the potential partner company
- Scout for new licensing opportunities in the field of TA specific diseases by attending global partnering conferences, participating in medical congresses and maintaining a strong and high-quality network in the scientific community
- Evaluate external opportunities with standards that ensure consistency between internal and external projects
- Identify new areas of innovation and growth opportunities that may be related to the field of TA specific diseases
Key task within the External Innovation (EI) value chain in detail:
- Define scouting targets in line with TIP and / or business strategy
- Provide market landscape of external opportunities
- Screen and identify external opportunities with potential to add value for Merck Serono/EMD Serono, e.g. attend conferences/scientific meetings, leverage internal and external networks, conduct database searches
- Process unsolicited opportunities, e.g. entry into BD database
- Review & prioritize opportunities for further evaluation
- Establish contact with potential collaboration partners for initial access to non-confidential information but involve transaction team before signing CDA
- · Evaluation
- Conduct initial scientific review of opportunities, e.g. scientific potential, fit with TIP strategy, implications for clinical development, competitive situation (research, commercial, IP, …)
- Orchestrate input from other R&D functions pre-DD, work with R&D DD team after DD green light is granted
- Prepare documentation overview
- Filling, optimizing and maximizing R&D pipeline value by strategically accessing external assets
- R&D TIPs and Discovery Technologies, Global Business Units
- GBD Transaction teams
- University degree: MD or PhD degree in the biological sciences and MBA preferred
- Professional experience in search & evaluation role in business development setting
- Minimum 8 years industry experience in relevant therapeutic area
- In addition, minimum 2 years experience in search & consolidation of competitive intelligence
- Minimum 2 years experience in the scientific and technical evaluation of drugs in development
- Scientific expertise of TA specific diseases in either the research, clinical, regulatory or development setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of drug development
- Experience leading cross-functional teams
- Deep networks with scientific/biotech community
JOB-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Deep understanding of TA/platform strategy and scientific expertise on relevant pathways, mode of actions (MoAs), assets and technologies in specific TA
- Ability to take strategic company perspective for assessments of opportunities (value and risks) and to drive decisions of Merck Serono/EMD Serono Senior Management
- Internal stakeholder management capabilities (including soft skills) to drive projects forward and to bring them to decision readiness
- Ability to engage executive leadership and to deliver decision ready presentations
- Managing relationship with internal/external partners and ability to leverage internal and external networks with scientific and biotech community
- Strong liaison to R&D scientists within the TIPs, Clinical, Manufacturing and the business franchise
- Ability to work in intense, fast paced, matrixed, multinational/ cultural work environment and to relate across multiple cultures; ability to take on global perspective
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills are required. Ability to articulate and formulate decisions and actions in clear business language
- Strong project management skills, ability to ensure effective/efficient decision making and issue resolution competencies
- Strong mature leadership capabilities, coaching and influencing skills
- Fluency in English (both verbal and written) is essential, knowledge of German or French is an asset
ADA REQUIREMENTS (mandatory for US employees)
- Normal and routine office duties
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 50% of time
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.