Director Search & Evaluation Oncology
EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group. We strive to create value and benefit patients by transforming medical science into breakthrough solutions in our core therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of expertise.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the search and evaluation process to identify pre-clinical and clinical stage licensing opportunities in line with the TIP strategy
- Leads the project team involved in the early evaluation of licensing opportunities, working closely with Research, Clinical Development, Regulatory Affairs, CMC and Marketing
- Responsible for early evaluation activities and supports generation of key deliverables for the business case, including participation in due diligence
- Ensures appropriate transfer of key findings and insights learned through the early evaluation process and potential licensing discussions
- Scouts for new licensing opportunities by attending partnering conferences, participating in medical congresses and maintaining a strong network in the scientific community
- Evaluates external opportunities with standards that ensure consistency between internal and external projects
- Monitors the external business environment to maintain a knowledge base of licensing transactions
- Identifies new areas of innovation and growth opportunities that may be of interest to the TIP and/or Merck Serono portfolio
- Promotes Merck Serono as a partner of choice
EDUCATION & LANGUAGES
- MD or Ph D degree in the biological sciences required
- MBA preferred
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5-8 years life science industry experience
- Minimum 2 years experience in the scientific and technical evaluation of drugs in development
- Knowledge of specific disease area from either a research, clinical, regulatory or development setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of drug development
- Experience leading cross-functional teams
- Strong project management, presentation and communication skills
- An interest in and basic understanding of business analysis. Ability to assess how an opportunity could fit with the business strategy
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Ability to work in intense, fast paced, matrixed, multinational work environment
- Demonstrated experience in negotiation & presentation
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to relate across multiple cultures
- Normal and routine office duties
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 40% of time
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.