We are seeking a highly motivated statistician-bioinformatician for a key role at Proteostasis Therapeutics, Inc., driving the generation of hypotheses, design of experiments and statistical analysis across multiple projects in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Work closely with biologists towards the formation of hypotheses and the design and analysis of experiments to test said hypotheses
- Discover and update causal hypotheses in transcriptomic, proteomic and other biological data
- Perform meta-analyses on data from replicated experiments
- Work with computational chemist toward developing predictive statistical models between chemical structures and biologic, transcriptomic and proteomic data
- Work consistently with developer to pipeline key processes and capture data and analytic results.
FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ph.D. with experience in statistics, physics and bioinformatics; industry experience a plus
- Strong understanding of Design of Experiments theory, Bayesian statistical theory, computational Bayesian methods, hierarchical modeling, meta-analysis and Bayesian causal networks
- Fluency in R, Matlab, BUGS, JAGS
- Experience in working on complex problems and datasets containing biological noise, requiring creative hypothesis generation and careful analysis
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS FOR the ROLE
- Diverse applied knowledge of mathematical techniques for solving design problems
- Excellent communicator with biologists; able to explain difficult statistical concepts intuitively
- Creative and able to ‘think outside the box’
- Capable of defending scientific choices
- Highly motivated and proactive
- Consistency in high-quality work
- Team player capable of constructive collaboration within team and across departments
- Awareness of current developments in applied Bayesian and bioinformatics literature
- Ability to write and publish own work in scientific journals
- Excellent presentation skills with a wide audience of diverse scientific expertise
- Proteostasis Therapeutics is backed by a consortium of leading venture capital firms, and has lead programs in cystic fibrosis and neurodegenerative diseases. The Company has made recent significant advances on both the science and business fronts.