Associate DIrector, Global Medical Content Development, MS Global Medical Affairs
Genzyme has pioneered the development and delivery of transformative therapies for patients affected by rare and debilitating diseases for over 30 years. We accomplish our goals through world-class research, collaboration with the global patient community, and with the compassion and commitment of our employees. With a focus on rare diseases and multiple sclerosis, we are dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of the patients and families we serve. Genzyme's portfolio of transformative therapies, which are marketed in countries around the world, represent groundbreaking and life-saving advances in medicine. As a Sanofi company, Genzyme benefits from the reach and resources of one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies, with a shared commitment to improving the lives of patients.
Sanofi, an integrated global healthcare leader, discovers, develops and distributes therapeutic solutions focused on patients’ needs. Sanofi has core strengths in the field of healthcare with seven growth platforms: diabetes solutions, human vaccines, innovative drugs, consumer healthcare, emerging markets, animal health and the new Genzyme.
Genzyme Corporation (a Sanofi company) and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
The Associate Director (AD), Global Medical Content Development for Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Global Medical Affairs will be accountable for the strategy behind, and the development of, Scientific Exchange materials for field-based Medical Affairs staff (e.g., Medical Science Liaisons), content for medical meetings/Symposia, Advisory Board materials, and content for internal Medical Affairs staff training. This role will report to the Senior Medical Director and Head of Global Medical Communications & Content Development in Global MS Medical Affairs. Assignments could pertain to one or more of Genzyme’s current or future therapies for MS, or to disease state materials. Tactical implementation could involve collaboration with external academic experts in Neurology/MS. The AD will also play a key role in the planning and execution of certain medical activities including ex-US educational Symposia, global medical congresses, and Advisory Boards. Additionally, the role will involve facilitating consensus on the strategic elements of the communication plan, and contributing to the creation of the communication plan, congress plan and advisory board plan for MS. The AD will drive execution of these plans, and regular updates to the plans. The job will require working closely with cross-functional teams as well as internal stakeholders from multiple regions and countries. All educational materials must conform to high ethical standards and industry guidelines, as well as Genzyme and Sanofi policies and procedures.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an active, high profile, high-impact Medical Affairs team, support multiple product launches, and work in a highly dynamic and collaborative setting.
Occasional domestic and international travel will be required.
The position is based in Cambridge, MA
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Lead the creation of the yearly global medical communications plan for assigned product(s). Contribute to the development of (and updates to) the global congress and Advisory Board plans.
2. Facilitate the development of, and lead the process for updates to, global medical communications internal guidance and resource documents.
3. Ensure appropriate execution of the medical content elements of the tactical plan for assigned product(s). Oversee (and when needed contribute to) the preparation of high quality content and educational and communication materials according to established timelines and procedures, and on budget.
4. Manage external vendors/service providers, including the Medical agency(ies) of record, in assisting with medical content planning and execution
5. Manage external and internal resources (Genzyme contributors/reviewers, meeting planners and Medical agency) in the development of educational materials (for internal and field/external use) and event planning to meet objectives in a cost-efficient and timely manner, effectively using project management skills to track and coordinate activities.
6. Contribute to the development the medical content strategy and execution for congress medical communication activities (e.g., congress booth materials and planning) and participate in cross-functional congress planning meetings
7. Develop and maintain expertise in MS as a disease state, plus literature regarding overall treatment options, and Genzyme product data
8. Lead the forecasting for, and manage the associated budgets for, medical content development
9. Identify and engage external Neurologists and MS experts when appropriate, for participation in Advisory Boards and as consultants for content development
10. Oversee the strategy, agenda development, content creation, and execution for Global Medical Advisory Boards, educational symposia and internal meetings/summits
11. Ensure that strategically aligned scientific communication points, elements from other internal guidance and resource documents, and key data are included appropriately in tactics, and that statements and conclusions are accurate and supported by appropriate data
12. Participate in the development of medical content and strategy for unbranded programs led by Commercial colleagues
13. Participate in relevant cross-functional teams and task forces to represent the Global Medical Communications and Content Development team as needed. Make presentations to colleagues and senior management as needed.
14. Oversee and/or contribute to the development/editing of other important medical communications to support the MS program, which might include: briefing documents, written communications, Frequently Asked Question documents, slide decks, and medical information letters
· Advanced scientific or clinical degree in the life sciences (e.g., M.S., M.S.N., N.P., P.A., D.P.T., Pharm.D., or Ph.D.)
· With a Masters level degree, 9 years of relevant experience, including 7 in the Pharmaceutical and/or Biotechnology Industry. With a Doctoral level degree, 6 years of relevant experience, including 4 in the Pharmaceutical and/or Biotechnology Industry.
· Knowledge of and expertise in the field of MS
· Budget planning and management
· Experience collaborating with and supporting international medical scientific colleagues
· Experience in developing reactive and proactive scientific exchange materials for use with external health care providers
· Experience in training of Medical Affairs staff
· Knowledge of guidelines and precedents pertaining to behavior of Field-based Medical Affairs Professionals, e.g., “Medical Science Liaisons”
· Experience in running and/or providing content for Advisory Boards or Medical Symposia
· Experience interacting with external technical experts and maintaining good relationships with them
· Ability to think strategically
· Ability to critically analyze and synthesize complicated data and scientific information
· Demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Knowledge and Skills:
· Experience and demonstrated skill in the communication and presentation of complex scientific and medical data
· Experience in a Pharmaceutical and/or Biotechnology Industry Medical Affairs setting. Knowledge of industry guidelines pertaining to interactions with health care providers.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, negotiation skills, and verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to collaborative well with colleagues, and excel in a matrix structure
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment, and also work independently on projects. History of timely tactical execution.
· Ability to manage effectively one’s projects, and also to meet deadlines while maintaining high quality standards
· Knowledge of best practices in educating scientific or technical professionals