Sr. Research Scientist- Discovery Virology (HBV), Biology
July 31, 2014
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist with expertise in virology and drug discovery to take a leading role in our internal research efforts to identify new therapeutics for functional cure of chronic HBV infection. The selected candidate will be responsible for leading, conducting and coordinating key biological studies and experiments focused on the discovery, profiling and preclinical evaluation of novel treatment approaches and modalities including small molecules and biologics with a potential to cure HBV infection.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Designing and overseeing research to identify and evaluate new molecular targets, therapeutic concepts, and therapeutic agents for HBV Cure
- Identifying and supporting relevant external collaborations and evaluations of business development opportunities in the area of HBV cure
- Building internal expertise in the understanding and control of HBV infection
- Introducing new tools, assays, and models relevant to HBV infection and control of infection
- Participating in multidisciplinary drug discovery teams by leading the Biology component of projects or entire multidisciplinary teams.
- Mentoring a group of highly effective scientific staff
- Presenting regular research updates to project teams and R&D management
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in virology, microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, immunology or a related scientific discipline with a minimum of 7 years of relevant post-doctoral experience and a track record of high-impact achievements
- In-depth knowledge of molecular virology, microbiology or immunology and demonstrated ability to apply knowledge to conduct insightful research. Experience in the area of drug discovery (small molecules or biologics) is preferred.
- Excellent technical skills in the area of cell and molecular biology, knowledge of state-of-the art technologies and how to apply them to conduct efficient and innovative research.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to think strategically and successfully lead projects in multidisciplinary matrix settings to achieve goals and milestones
- Strong management skills; ability to mentor junior scientific staff in direct reporting relationships
- Ability to effectively engage and interact with external experts including productive management of scientific collaborations
- Excellent interpersonal skills including strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong motivation, independence, and ability to work in a high-pace multidisciplinary environment with minimal supervision