Head of Gene Therapy
Responsible and accountable for setting overall gene therapy strategy that delivers preclinical development candidates consistent with the strategic objectives and mission of Shire, and are of sufficient number and quality to achieve the company's portfolio objectives. Responsible for introduction of new enabling technologies and identification of external opportunities that help ensure the achievement of productivity goals. Integrates activities of Gene Therapy within Discovery Therapeutics (e.g. Protein Expression and Analytics) and with other major functions in Shire (e.g. Discovery Biology and Non-clinical Development) and the partnering of projects through Preclinical Development into the clinic.
* Responsible and accountable for the identification of lead candidates, using a variety of technologies, and optimization of these to deliver preclinical development candidates that meet or exceed prospectively set criteria and span a wide range of gene therapy modalities.
* Responsible for providing strategic input and guidance on the appropriate portfolio balance of these therapeutic modalities.
* Responsible for providing pharmacological tools that enable preclinical proof of concept and in vivo validation studies.
* Effectively manages the close collaboration between the internal functions and a network of strategic CRO partnerships.
* Integrates activities of Gene Therapy with other groups within Discovery Therapeutics (e.g. Expression and Analytics) and major functions in Shire (e.g. Discovery Biology, Non-clinical Development, Business Development, Process Development) and the partnering of projects through Preclinical Development into the clinic.
* Recognizes the unique needs of Gene Therapy in support of different business units, with an emphasis on rare diseases, and looks for ways to shorten time lines, including innovative partnerships with external organizations.
* Develops a broad network and works extensively and effectively with CROs, often in strategic partnerships, to deliver predevelopment candidates.
* Ensures compliance of Gene Therapy activities.
* Works effectively with Business Development and other Shire colleagues to help identify and critically assess external opportunities and incorporate them into our portfolio as appropriate.
* Establishes and develops a broad network of consultants and external collaborators, including biotech and academic partners in order to identify new project opportunities.
Education and Experience Requirements:
* PhD degree in virology, molecular biology, genetics, or equivalent experience
* 10+ years of experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, designing, optimizing and delivering high quality gene therapy drug candidates.
* Significant experience managing external CROs.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
* Requires excellent interpersonal skills including active listening, effective meeting management, negotiation, and complex activity coordination at multiple sites. Must be open to the ideas of others and utilize different perspectives to drive towards creative solutions.
* Excellent communication skills
* Experience in establishing, developing and effectively managing a complex network of strategic partnerships with CROs including prosecution of integrated drug discovery programs
* Exhibit knowledge and sound judgment of what constitutes a high quality development candidate
* Experience in gene therapy vector design, construction, and delivery.
* Support a culture of creativity and operational focus to ensure discovery objectives and portfolio needs are met
* Crisp decision-making following appropriate consultation, even in times of ambiguity
* Strategic thinking, both within Discovery Therapeutics and across Research and Nonclinical Development
* Recognizes the nuances of R&D in support of different business units with an emphasis on rare diseases
* Influences without authority, in a matrix environment
* Has a global mindset, partnering across the world as necessary
* Acts as an ambassador for Shire
Other Job Requirements:
* Occasional domestic and International travel
* Participation in external scientific meetings
Shire's Brave culture offers employees with diverse backgrounds the opportunity to enable those with life altering conditions to lead better lives
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, Shire is committed to a diverse workforce. US Applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact 484-595-8400.
Please apply at: Application URL: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YWxlYXRvbi40NTkwNy4zMTY3QHNoaXJlLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ