Opportunity with fast growing biotech company
bluebird bio is developing potentially transformative, one-time gene therapies for severe genetic and orphan diseases. At the heart of bluebird bio’s product creation efforts is its broadly applicable gene therapy platform for the development of new treatments for diseases with few or no clinical options. bluebird bio has two clinical stage product candidates in development, one for childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CCALD) and one for beta-thalassemia major/sickle cell disease, and an early stage oncology program in partnership with Celgene Corporation.
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team by contributing to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approach. Reporting to the Senior Accountant, you will help to ensure that high-quality financial information is created and used to drive good decisions and operations in this highly entrepreneurial, fast-moving company. You will participate in the monthly closing process and have responsibility for several account reconciliations. In this position you will also participate in the payroll cycle. The ideal candidate for this role aspires to grow with the company and is willing to provide support in all areas of the business.
About the position:
- Perform monthly close activities including balance sheet reconciliations such as cash, prepaid expenses, fixed assets, deferred rent and deferred revenue
- Maintain the fixed asset module including adding/disposing of assets, performing monthly depreciation, tagging new assets upon acquisition, and updating monthly reports
- Record standard recurring journal entries
- Assist with quarterly audit preparation, as needed
- Assist with accounts payable processing
- Enter all credit card purchases into the system; ensure proper coding of expenses based on collected purchase receipts
- Actively participate in creating documentation for the department’s control procedures
- Actively participate in both system and process improvements
- Assist with record keeping and file maintenance
- Perform administrative duties as assigned
- BS degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in an accounting role, biotech experience is preferred
- Strong computer knowledge in word processing and excel spreadsheets required; NetSuite experience a plus
- Strong financial analysis and accounting skills, thorough knowledge of accounting principles
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and react quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide a high level of service to internal and external customers, including all levels within the company
- Individual must be organized, detail-oriented, proactive and energetic
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced, high volume environment and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and time management skills in order to balance working on multiple projects in parallel are required
- Willingness to embrace and demonstrate the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself
This is an exciting time to join the field of gene therapy in general, and to become a part of the bluebird bio team in particular. bluebird bio is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and trades under the symbol BLUE. We offer a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, colorful, and scientifically rigorous environment, with all the fun and passion that a start-up provides, plus an excellent benefits package that includes stock options, commuter/parking benefit, etc.
To be considered for this exciting career opportunity, please apply through our website. www.bluebirdbio.com
bluebird bio, 150 Second Street, Cambridge, MA 02141
bluebird bio will only accept job applications from candidates who are properly documented with authorization to work in the United States.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. bluebird bio is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.