Associate Director and Corporate Counsel
Vertex is actively seeking a mid-level attorney with solid experience in biotech/pharmaceuticals technology transfer. This attorney’s practice will focus on licensing, contracted services and collaborative transactions supporting research, manufacturing, pharmaceutical development and business development, including M&A. We are looking for an individual who loves a fast-paced environment, is detail-oriented, independently motivated, and has the confidence and ability to interact with clients and co-workers in a professional, approachable, and positive manner. This is a new position that would report to one of two Assistant General Counsels and the Deputy General Counsel within the corporate division of Vertex Legal.
• Work closely with project managers, contract liaisons, scientists, business development personnel, and other legal professionals (IP, corporate, commercial and clinical), as well as management
• Serve as a legal advisor and take primary responsibility for drafting, negotiation and support of agreements on a broad range of transactions, including novel alliances, collaborations, consortia and government funded projections furthering R&D and commercial goals while managing risk to intellectual property and ensuring legal compliance (interactions with HCPs, privacy, as well as anti-bribery and other international issues in particular)
• Work to improve internal processes to ensure alignment with requirements of law and sound business practices. Work to increase efficiency of contracting process and reduce legal risk by educating and otherwise enabling clients to assume optimal roles in contracting process and ownership of contractual obligations and rights
• Assist in supervising and mentoring a team of four experienced and technically proficient paralegals JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• JD from an ABA accredited law school
• Membership of the Massachusetts bar in good standing
• 5+ years of biotech/pharmaceutical licensing experience, including significant transactional and intellectual property experience
• Experience in both law firm and as in-house counsel
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and values collaboration; ability and desire to develop positive relationships and work cooperatively with legal department colleagues, internal clients, and external entities including academic institutions, foundations, for-profit companies, CROs and CMOs
• Highly analytical self-starter with strong critical thinking skills
• Ability to draw conclusions using sound reasoning and provide practical business-sensitive advice
• Good listening skills and effective consultative style
• Excellent organizational, time and priority management skills, including the ability to handle a variety of unrelated projects simultaneously with minimal supervision
• Ability to prioritize to meet tight deadlines and adjust to workload fluctuations, amid consistently ongoing change
• Has a continuous improvement mindset and willingness to mentor and coach as well as to learn new fields of law and grow professionally
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, Mass., we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
To Apply for this position, please CLICK HERE