Scientist I Analytical Development
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is a global biotechnology company committed to the discovery and development of breakthrough small molecule drugs for serious diseases. The Company’s strategy is to commercialize its products both independently and in collaboration with major pharmaceutical companies. Vertex’s product pipeline is focused on viral diseases, inflammation, autoimmune diseases, cancer, pain and bacterial infection.
Vertex is seeking a talented individual to join our Analytical Development – Process Analytical Technology group in Boston, MA. As a member of the PAT team, this individual will also be a member of the industry leading continuous drug product manufacturing team supporting drug development programs at Vertex. Specifically, the role will focus on the development and validation of Process Analytical Techniques (PAT) methods and data models, statistical data analysis including the justification for sampling plans, Monte Carlo simulations, etc., and the evaluation of new technology to support Formulation Development, Continuous GMP Manufacturing and Real Time Release Testing (RTRT).
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing PAT methods (NIR, Raman, particle size) and data models to support unit manufacturing operations.
- Interfacing with key CMOs to generate PAT data during early development for key unit operations (blending, drying, etc).
- Transfer and validation of methods/models for unit operations to allow for application to continuous manufacturing.
- Implementation of PAT methods/models for real time in-process controls and real time release testing
- Present to cross functional teams and effectively communicate critical issues and solutions
- Authoring and reviewing source documents for regulatory submissions
- A Ph.D. degree in the physical sciences, mathematics or engineering.
- Minimum Experience: 0 - 3 years (PhD). Pharmaceutical Industry experience is an asset, but is not required.
- Understanding of NIR, Raman, particle size and other measurement techniques that are suitable for PAT and RTRT.
- Experience with statistics, chemometrics, programming and data modeling packages such as Matlab, Unscrambler, Eigenvector PLS Toolbox, etc.
- The ability to work successfully in both a team/matrix environment as well as independently is essential
- The ability to work in a fast pace environment, manage priorities, and maintain timelines for multiple projects is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated by symposia presentations and research publications in peer reviewed journals are essential
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, Mass., we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist.
For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
To Apply for this position, please CLICK HERE