MassBio Annual Meeting
Monday, March 26 – Tuesday, March 27 2012
Location: Royal Sonesta Hotel, 40 Edwin Land Blvd, Cambridge, MA
The Business of Science:
Re-catalyzing Innovation in the Industry
FEATURING REMARKS FROM:
Eric D. Perakslis Ph.D., Chief Information Officer & Chief Scientist (Informatics), U.S. FDA
Francis S. Collins, Director, National Institutes of Health
* Pre-Registration is now closed. Please plan to register on-site Monday morning. *
See you there!
As an industry, we are facing serious growth challenges driven by an innovation slow-down. The slow-down occurs all along the drug discovery and development chain, with particular bottlenecks that carry deleterious consequences. Of note are: the chronic tensions between academia and industry; difficulty around translating discovery work into development candidates; the scarcity of capital for innovative new start-ups; the fragmenting of big pharma R&D; and the lack of clarity around regulatory approval come to mind. Join MassBio for our 2012 Annual Meeting as we discuss and debate, what will it take to re-catalyze life-science innovation?
The goals of the Annual Meeting are to Connect, Collaborate, and Innovate:
1. Discuss and debate the most relevant science and business topics driving industry’s innovation challenges
2. Promote collaboration with industry scientists, CSOs and other life sciences leaders to enhance scientific and business understanding, augment deal flow and connections.
3. Forge new scientific and business relationships
4. Build the network of up-and-coming academic scientists
Confirmed speakers include:
- Francis S. Collins, Director, National Institutes of Health
- Eric D. Perakslis Ph.D., Chief Information Officer & Chief Scientist (Informatics), U.S. FDA
- Edward Scolnick, Core Member & Director of the Psychiatric Disease Program, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard; Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biology, MIT
- Gunjan Aggarwal, Global Head, TM&OD and Staffing, Novartis Vaccines & Diagnostics
- Nurjana Bachman, Business Development Manager, Children's Hospital Boston
- William Bachovchin, Ph.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer, Co-Founder, Arisaph Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- John Beeler, Director, Theranostics and Business Development, bioMerieux
- Kees Been, CEO, EnVivo
- Diana W. Bianchi, Vice Chair for Research, Floating Hospital for Children
- Kevin J. Bitterman, Principal, Polaris Venture Partners
- Joshua Boger, Founder, former CEO and current board member, Vertex Pharmaceuticals – 2012 recipient of Henri A. Termeer Innovative Leadership Award
- Bruce Booth, Partner, Life Sciences Group, Atlas Venture
- Jeffrey Borenstein, Director, Biomedical Engineering Center, Draper Labs
- Barrett Bready, CEO, Nabsys
- John Butler, CEO, Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals
- Jeremy Caldwell, Vice President, RNA Therapeutics, Screening and Protein Sciences, Merck
- Abbie Celniker, CEO, Eleven Biotherapeutics
- Pravin Chaturvedi, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), IndUS Pharmaceuticals
- Michael Cicio, VP Operations and Site Manager, New England Operations, Lonza Biologics
- Jerry Conway, Vice President of Payor Contracting & Reimbursement, Metamark Genetics, Inc.
- Silvia Corvera, Professor, Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Daniel J. Curran, Vice President, Business and Corporate Development, Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company
- Bryan Dechairo, Senior Director, Development Head, Medco
- Horst Domdey, Managing Director, BioM-Munich Biotech Cluster
- Erling Donnelly, Director, Worldwide Regulatory Strategy, Pfizer Inc.
- Jeff Elton, Jeffrey Elton, Managing Director, Accenture; former Global COO & Strategy Head, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research
- Juan Enriquez, Managing Director, Excel Venture Management
- Douglas Fambrough, CEO & co-founder, Dicerna Pharmaceuticals
- Martha C. Farmer, President and CEO, North Shore InnoVentures
- Brian Fenton, Senior Director Business Development, Shire HGT
- Jessica Baker Flechtner, Vice President of Research, Genocea Biosciences, Inc.
- Richard M. Freeland, Commissioner, Massachusetts Dept. of Higher Education
- Brian M. Gallagher, Jr., Partner, SR One Ltd.
- Karen Gallant, Vice President SPBD Infection, AstraZeneca
- Tillman Gerngross, Founder & CEO, Adimab
- Steven C. Gilman, Executive Vice President, Research & Development and Chief Scientific Officer, Cubist Pharmaceuticals
- Alexandra Glucksmann, Senior Vice President, Research and Business Operations, Cerulean Pharma
- Eric B. Gordon, CEO and President, Atentiv Inc.
- Gary L. Gottlieb, President and Chief Executive Officer, Partners HealthCare System, Inc.
- John Harrington, Chief Commercial Officer, Sanofi-Aventis Oncology
- Sheela Hegde, Vice President, Health Advances
- John K. Hennessy, Executive Director & General Manager, AstraZeneca R&D Boston
- Michael W. Henry, Vice President, Business Development, Athena Diagnostics Inc.
- John Hession, Partner, Venture Capital Financings and Emerging Companies, Cooley, LLP
- Gigi Hirsch, Executive Director, MIT Center for Biomedical Innovation
- Donna Hochberg, Manager, Health Advances
- Mike Jirousek, Co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer, Catabasis
- Ed Kania, Managing Partner and Chairman, Flagship Ventures
- Mickey Koplove
- Raju Kucherlapati, Ph.D., Paul C. Cabot Professor of Genetics, Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Ralph Lambalot, DVP Biologics Development & Manufacturing Launch, Abbott Laboratories
- Tomas Landh, Director, Strategy and Sourcing, Diabetes Research Unit, Novo Nordisk
- Scott Lauder, Senior Director and Global Head, Protein and Cell Sciences, EMD Serono
- Carl W. Lawton, Director, Massachusetts Biomanufacturing Center, UMass Lowell
- Daniel Levy, M.D., Director, Framingham Heart Study, & Director, Center for Population Studies, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Jeffrey P. Libson, Partner, Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Phil Litos, Chief Operating Officer, Bostonian Group
- John Maraganore, CEO, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Barbara Hedgis McGovern, Associate Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Lemuel Shattuck Hospital
- Donnie McGrath, Global Head, Virology and Neuroscience Strategic Transactions, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Philip McGurk, Senior Director, Pfizer, Inc.
- Michael A. Metzger, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Mersana Therapeutics
- Vincent Miles, Venture Partner, Abingworth
- Glenn Miller, VP & Head of Personalized Healthcare, AstraZeneca
- Scott Minick, CEO, BIND Biosciences
- Emily Minkow, Assoc. Director of BD, Celgene Corporation
- Jay Mohr, Managing Director, Locust Walk Partners
- Craig Muir, Partner, Third Rock Ventures
- Imran Nasrullah, Head of Strategic Alliances, T1D First
- Sridaran Natesan, Ph.D., Scientific Site Head (R&D), Sanofi (Cambridge,MA)
- Garry Neil, Corporate Vice President, Corporate Office of Science and Technology (COSAT), Johnson & Johnson
- Susan Nemetz, President, The NemetzGroup
- Vinit Nijhawan, Managing Director, Technology Development Office, Boston University
- Yat Sun Or, Ph.D., Sr. VP, Research & Development and Chief Scientific Officer, Enanta
- Scott D. Patterson, PhD, Executive Director, Medical Sciences, Amgen Inc.
- Michael Pellini, CEO, Foundation Medicine
- Manos Perros, Head of Infection, AstraZeneca
- Deanna M. Petersen, Vice President Business Development, Shire HGT
- John J. Reddington, Chief Operating Officer, Cambridge Biomedical
- David Resnick, Co-Leader, Patents Practice, Nixon Peabody
- Tim Rowe, CEO, Cambridge Innovation Center
- Alfred W. Sandrock, MD, PhD, Senior Vice President, Medical Research Neurology, Biogen Idec
- Thomas Scholl, Vice President, Research & Development, Integrated Genetics/LabCorp
- David Schenkein, CEO, Agios Pharmaceuticals
- Dennis J. Selkoe, Co-Director, Center for Neurologic Diseases, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Juswinder Singh, CSO, Avila Therapeutics, Inc.
- John Z. Sullivan-Bólyai, Vice President, Clinical Research, Idenix Pharmaceuticals
- Barbara Tate, Vice President of Biology, Satori Pharmaceuticals
- Henri A. Termeer, former Chairman, President and CEO, Genzyme Corporation– Presenter, Henri A. Termeer Innovative Leadership Award
- Steven Tregay, Founder, President and CEO, FORMA Therapeutics
- Akshay Vaishnaw, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Ajay Verma, Vice President, Translational Neurology, Biogen Idec
- Jeff Voss, Senior Principal Research Scientist, Abbott Bioresearch Center and member of FNIH steering committee for Inflammation and Immunology
- Charles Wilson, Vice President and Global Head of Strategic Alliances, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR)
- Tod Woolf, Chief Business Officer, X-BODY Biosciences
- Paul Young, Chief Scientific Officer, Syndexa Pharmaceuticals
- Tal Zaks, Vice President, Oncology Clinical Development, Sanofi
- Daphne Zohar, Founder & Managing Partner, PureTech Ventures
2011 MassBio Annual Meeting Attendees:
By Organization Type: 49% Pharma/Biotechnology; 22% Academic Institutions; 29% Service Providers
By Industry: 67% Drug Development; 10% Research Products and Instrumentation; 7% Human Diagnostic Development; 13% Contract Research and Manufacturing; 3% Bioinformatics
By Title: 24% Top Management (CEO, CSO, President); 46% Sr. Management (Director, VP); 30% Middle Management/Other
Why should your organization be there?
Biotech companies: Engage in thoughtful panel discussions, networking activities and presentation opportunities with potential collaborators.
Pharma companies: Forge relationships with academia, disease foundations and biotech companies.
Disease foundations: Form partnerships with biotech and Pharma companies around programs addressing your patient constituencies; meet with leading academicians in your therapeutic space.
Venture capitalists: See groundbreaking technologies during our poster presentation.
Corporate Strategics: Meet leaders of companies useful to your strategies for pipeline growth.
Academic Medical Centers: You are the engines of innovation! Come meet your future industrial collaborators. Meet biotech and pharma companies. They want to meet you!
Sponsorship opportunities are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.