HBA Boston: How Payers and Patients Impact Medical Product Development
Tuesday, February 26 2013
5:30 pm – 9:00 pm
Location: Genzyme Center, Roscoe Brady Lecture Hall, 500 Kendall Street, Cambridge, MA 02142
Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association Event (Boston Chapter)
Getting drugs and medical devices to the market and reimbursed is a major consideration companies face in today’s healthcare market. With the rise in health care costs, payers have a very strong influence over pharmaceutical and medical device markets as they demand insight into product cost-effectiveness. Payer reimbursement for medical products is frequently referred to as “market access” in healthcare circles, for without such reimbursement, patients do not have ready access to the therapies. Therefore to succeed, healthcare companies must change the way they develop and market drugs and devices – making market access planning an integral part of their organizational strategy. This includes balancing clinical and economic value in product development and commercialization. The payer’s perspective must be integrated throughout the full process, thus changing the model for product development.
Additionally, healthcare product developers need to take patients’ perspectives into consideration, understanding how to best make their products available to those who need them most.
Event attendees will hear from a distinguished panel about what “market access” and “patient access” means today and the consequences to the industry as a whole. Attendees will hear insights on key challenges and opportunities facing different stakeholders, such as biopharma and medical device companies and payers, and get a better understanding of how the increased spotlight on market and patient access is changing the face of drug development.
1. What the terms “market access” and "patient access" mean with relation to the healthcare industry
2. Key challenges that market and patient access strategies create for the healthcare industry as a whole, and key
opportunities that they offer
3. How the new spotlight on market and patient access is changing the face of drug development and
5:30 PM - 6:30 PM Registration, Networking, Appetizers
6:30 PM - 6:40 PM Welcome, Opening Remarks, Introduction of Speakers
6:40 PM - 7:00 PM Topic Introduction
7:00 PM - 7:45 PM Panel Discusion
7:45 PM - 8:10 PM Q&A
8:10 PM - 8:20 PM Closing Remarks
8:20 PM - 9:00 PM Networking
- Mohan Bala, Head, Market Access, Sanofi Oncology
- Chelley Casey, Associate Director, Patient Services, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Laura Housman, VP, Global Market Access - Genoptix - Novartis
- Heather Steinfield, Partner, Simon-Kucher & Partners
- Beth Trehu, Chief Medical Officer, Promedior
- Lisa Whittemore, VP, Network Performance Improvement, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Click here to register.
Event is open to: HBA members and nonmembers
Online Registration deadline: February 22, 2013
Onsite (walk-in) registration: Is allowed
Member rate: $40
Nonmember rate: $70
Is this event refundable? Yes
If yes, must be submitted in writing to email@example.com by February 22, 2013; no refunds are available after this date.
- Program contact for event details: Contact Lisa Lallos firstname.lastname@example.org or (978) 204-7926
- Membership questions: email@example.com or 973-575-0606
- Trouble with online registration: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-890-5230