Biotechnology Project Management Fall 2013
Wednesday, October 16 2013
5:30 pm – 9:00 pm
Location: MassBio offices 300 Tech Square 8th floor Cambridge MA 02139
Course runs Wednesdays, October 16 through November 20.
This six-evening in-depth seminar examines critical aspects of project management, including an overview of the drug development process and regulatory agencies. Participants gain practical experience with project management tools, such as Product Development Plans, Responsibility Assignment Matrices, Communication Plans, and Work Breakdown Structures. Participants learn to use tools and strategies for working in a team environment to analyze risk, allocate resources, track projects, resolve conflicts, make decisions, and manage management. Most importantly, participants increase their ability to deliver project results.
In this practical hands-on learning environment, participants gain understanding and skills in the responsibilities, activities, and competencies required of a successful Project Manager in the biotechnology industry. Experiential learning labs, class participation, and real life examples are used to maximize educational learning.
"Biotechnology Project Management" helps executives, researchers, technicians, and managers understand the role of project management and how their job fits into the overall drug development process.
Topics covered include:
- Overview of Product Development
- Understanding the Regulatory Environment
- Project Management Organizational Structures
- Working in a Matrix
- Internal Governance Bodies
- Project Initiation, Planning & Scheduling, Control and Close.
- Working in an Alliance
Course Instructors: This course is co-taught by several professionals actively involved within the biotech industry, including:
- Lydia Harris, Course Director: Lydia A. Harris, C.P.M., PMP has worked in the Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical Industry for over 25 years. Prior to starting her own consulting services, she worked at Millennium, Genzyme, and Whitehead Institute.
- Susan Macdonald: Susan has over 15 years of experience in the biotechnology industry, in capacities ranging from discovery science to development project management, portfolio management and alliance management. She is currently providing consulting services to the biotechnology industry. Previously, she held positions at Archemix Corp., ArQule, TEI Biosciences and Onyx Pharmaceuticals.
- Haroon Hashmi: Haroon is currently a Director of Regulatory Affairs at Biogen Idec in Cambridge, MA.Barbara Rosengren:
- Barbara is the VP of Strategic Product Development at Momenta Pharmaceuticals. She was previously Vice President & Development Project Leader at Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
- Pam Gustafson: Pam is currently a Director of Clinical Research at Proteon Therapeutics, Inc, in Waltham, MA.