MassBio's Working Groups are governed by volunteer leadership. As some co-chair terms are coming to an end, we are seeking additional candidates!
The Forum Advisory Board includes:
- Debbie Benjamin, Director of Facilities & Lab Management, Celgene
- Nils Bergenhem, PhD, Principal, NB R&D Consulting
- Bob Bondaryk, PhD, President and CEO, KeraFast
- Kathy Call, PhD, Senior Director & Head, Proteogenomics, Genzyme Corporation
- Dalia Cohen, PhD, Founder & President/Science Entrepreneur, ALN Associates
- Michael G. Donovan, Partner and Northeast Area Industry Leader for Biotechnology, Ernst & Young
- Brian Fenton, Executive Director, Business Development, Shire HGT
- Roger Frechette, PhD, Boston Life Sciences Ambassador, Medicon Valley Alliance
- George Hillman, Business Development, Bach Pharma
- Jim Holmes, Partner, Deloitte
- Joanne Kamens, PhD, Executive Director, Addgene
- Ralph Lambalot, PhD, VP, Biologics Development & Manufacturing Launch, AbbVie
- Tsvetelina Lazarova, PhD, Co-Founder & Co-Owner, MedChem Partners
- Larry Wittenberg, Co-Chair of Life Sciences Practice, Goodwin Proctor
Working Group Co-Chairs include:
Mission: To provide a Forum to focus on trends, innovation and challenges facing the industry as we strive to utilize biological discoveries in the production of useful products for healthcare. Discussions will address such key issues as workforce development – connecting academic coursework with manufacturing needs to get adequately trained workers on the floor; bridging the gap between R&D and the Biomanufacturing communities – create awareness & appreciation for Massachusetts’ current workforce & manufacturing capacity; business models of Biomanufacturing, regulations and oversight.
- Kamal A. Rashid, PhD, Director & Research Professor, Biomanufacturing Education and Training Center, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Biostatistics / Data Management / Clinical Trials
Mission: To provide a Forum for presenting and reviewing new ideas and findings in clinical research and drug discovery and to ensure consistency in clinical trials and efficacy in lead development. Discussions will feature industry and regulatory guidelines, journals, articles, references, standard operating procedures and consultant resources for conducting clinical trials, both with in house expertise or external clinical trial organizations.
- Kevin Anderson, Associate Director, Global Clinical Operations, Alexion Therapeutics
- John Balser, PhD, President, Veristat
- Michelle Harrison, Associate Director, Clinical Data Management, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Joanne Schindler, MD, DVM, Vice President, Clinical Development, SynDevRx, Inc.
- Sarah Tuller, Director, Regulatory Drugs/Biologics, Voisin Consulting Life Sciences
Business Development & Finance
Mission: To provide a Forum to address the challenges of driving innovation to commercialization in the rapidly evolving Biotech and Pharma industries and acquiring a competitive advantage via engaging academia and accessing innovation from external sources. Discussions will focus on various business models including licensing, merger and acquisition and the venture capital community.
- Josh Mandel-Brehm, Associate Director, Business Develoment and M&A, Biogen Idec, Inc.
- Helen Ho, PhD, Director, Business Development & Operations, Agios Pharmaceuticals
- Edwine Michel, Senior Manager, Economic Evaluation, Corporate Strategy & Business Development, Sanofi S.A.
- John P. Reilly, VP Business Development, Tetragenetics, Inc.
- Maude Tessier, PhD, Merck Research Laboratories, Director, Search & Evaluation, Business Development and Licensing, Boston Innovation Hub
- Paul Thibodeau, PhD, Senior Director of Global Business Development, TEVA Pharmaceuticals
Mission: To represent the Massachusetts CRO/CMO community and its vital function within the Life Science industry; creating new jobs by attracting new companies to locate in Massachusetts and presenting outsourcing alternatives which can be a major force in reducing the costs and development timelines for the commercializing of new therapeutics, diagnostics and medical devises. These Forums will showcase the impact that Massachusetts CROs and CMOs have on the Massachusetts Biotech Supercluster.
- Holly Collette, Technical Product Specialist, Research Model Services, Charles River Laboratories
- Peter Meltzer, PhD, President & CEO, Organix, Inc.
- Nicolette Miranda, Senior Associate Project management, Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research Inc.
- Bhavishya Mittal, PhD, Senior Scientist I, Formulation Sciences, PTRDL, Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company
- Ed Price, President, PCI Synthesis
- Raj Rajur, PhD, Chairman & CEO, CreaGen Biosciences, Inc.
Mission: To provide a Forum for drug discovery and early development executives, managers and researches to exchange ideas, information and resources in order to expedite the discovery and validation of new targets and drugs. Forums will focus on small molecule, biological and platform technologies, as well as, academic research.
- Masha Hareli, PhD, Founder & President, ATR, LLC
- Steve Riesinger, PhD, Co-founder, MedChem Partners
- Robert Suto, PhD, President and CSO, Xtal Biostructures Inc
Mission: To provide a Forum for business leaders to present key elements essential for guiding startups from creative ideas and R&D through the development of business opportunities that fuel company operations and growth. Discussions will include hot topics for entrepreneurs such as strategic investments and alliances, board development and management, term sheets, negotiation strategies.
- Steve Altieri, PhD, Associate, Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Marc Cote, Co-founder & COO, Accellient Partners, LLC
- John Hession, Partner, Cooley LLP
- Luba Greenwood, VP Business Development, Pronutria, Inc.
Formulation and Drug Delivery
Mission: To provide a Forum for open discussions on formulation and drug delivery concepts and novel approaches for macromolecule stabilization and to examine requirements for successful implementation of new formulation as a part of the product life cycle management and infrastructure for formulation and drug delivery research.
- Shikha P. Barman, Ph.D., CEO and CTO, Integral BioSystems
- Angelos Dovletoglou, PhD, Executive Director of Preclinical Development Sciences, Epizyme
- Craig Dunbar, PhD, VP of Product Development, Blend Therapeutics, Inc.
- Alex Nivorozhkin, PhD, Co-Founder & COO, Neo-Advent
Mission: To provide educational and informative programming for professionals of all levels on a broad spectrum of HR topics. Discussions will bring additional expertise and insight to the complex human resource issues impacting the Biotech industry and the HR community.
- Wendy Durkin, Regional Business Development Manager, Foundation Medicine, Inc.
- Patrick Marshall, Chief Business Officer/Co-Founder, StratAcuity
- Lee Merrill, VP, Human Resources, Forma Therapeutics
- James Richardson, Client Executive, William Gallagher Associates
- Hewan Small, Senior Director, Human Resources, Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research, Inc.
Legal & Regulatory
Mission: To provide a Forum for attorneys and professionals to discuss and collaborate on key issues relating to IP, biotech, healthcare and employment law. Discussions will include review of legal and regulatory related subjects, including efforts to ensure that biotechnology products meet or exceed regulatory standards, and strategies for establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with regulatory authorities.
- Mladen Bozic, Director, Global Regulatory Policy & Intelligence, Shire
- Lana Gladstein, Partner, Intellectual Property Litigation & Strategy, Pepper Hamilton LLP
- David Hoffman, Senior Counsel, Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Konstantin Linnik, PhD, Partner, Lawyer, Nutter McClennen & Fish LLP
- David Mantus, PhD, Vice President, Regulatory Affairs, BIND Therapeutics
- Sarah Tuller, Director, Regulatory Drugs/Biologics, Voisin Consulting Life Science
- Jayati Vaidya, Senior Consultant, Advisory Services, Deloitte & Touche LLP
Marketing & Communications
Mission: To provide a Forum for professionals to discuss and collaborate on best practice marketing and communications issues affecting biotechnology companies – small, medium and large. Discussions will include investor relations, public relations/affairs, marketing issues (discovery through commercialization) and corporate strategies impacting the evolution of biotech and pharma companies.
- David Altman, Marketing and Communications Specialist, Boston Children's Hospital
- Jim Baker, Executive Director, Corporate Affairs, Idera Pharmaceuticals
- Rob Goldstein, VP, Communications & Public Affairs, ALS Therapy Development Institute
- Mike Walsh, Director of Advocacy Engagement, InterMune, Inc.
Safety, Environmental and Facility Operations
Mission: To provide a Forum for sharing information, promoting responsible practices and disseminating timely information regarding regulatory changes. Discussions will address regulatory interpretations by key agency representatives and stakeholders as well as facility management and practical issues.
- Dick Aichelmann, Associate Director EH&S, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals
- Denise Aronson, President, Safety Partners
- Susan Smits, VP of Operations, Mabbett & Associates, Inc.
- Masha Ushomirsky, Lab Operation/EHS Manager, Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
MassBio is a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
Founded in 1985, MassBio represents over 600 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, research hospitals, and service organizations involved in life sciences and health care, and works to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs and events, industry information, and services.
- January 30, 2015 Biomarkers Part I: Basic Concepts of Biomarkers, Discovery and Identification
- January 30, 2015 Difficult Conversations: The Biotech Industry
- January 30, 2015 State of Rare: Taking Stock of Rare Disease Research Today & Tomorrow
- January 26, 2015 MassBio Office Closed 1/27 & 1/28, Policy Breakfast Postponed Due to Blizzard
- January 23, 2015 Supporting Increased NIH Funding