Grad/Post Doc Event a Huge Success
More than 120 graduate students and post docs attended the kickoff of Futures in Life Sciences, a program coordinated by Propel Careers, MassBio, and the MassBioEd Foundation.
The Futures in Life Science program brings together experts across a wide range of disciplines and functional areas within the life science industry, who will detail their roles and provide a rich context for the audience to gain a clear understanding of the skills, aptitudes, competencies, and personalities that thrive in their particular functions.
The session included a general overview of the life science industry and six key career areas of interest. Speakers included
- Alex Szidon, Ph.D., Director, Strategic Alliances, Translational Sciences & New Indication Discovery Unit, Novartis Institute for Biomedical Sciences
- Arthur Hiller, M.S., President, Hiller Life Sciences Strategies, LLC
- Kevin Sprott, Ph.D., Principal Investigator, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals
- Slava Akmaev, PhD, Vice President, Scientific Affairs, GNS Healthcare
- Dennis M. Meletiche, PharmD, Vice President, Health Outcomes & Market Access, EMD Serono, Inc
Next up, six sessions that will provide more detailed “deep dives” into specific areas including R&D, Product Commercialization, Clinical Development and Medical Affairs, Bio-Informatics, Market Access and Outcomes Research, as well as Finance, Legal and Operations roles. All events include time to meet and network with the panelists and other attendees.
The program stems from a continued need identified by many state and non-governmental organizations to increase awareness and education related to careers in science and technology. Together, Propel Careers, MassBio, and MassBioEd are all committed to providing resources that encourage the pursuit of careers in the life science industry and believe that careers exist for students across all academic disciplines. The Futures in Life Science program will highlight these areas and will increase awareness of the associated career paths.
Stay tuned for details on the next program!
March: Commercialization 1 (Marketing/Product Management/Business Development)