The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 600 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life science issues.
Director of Communications
One Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
View the 600 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- May 21, 2013 ARIAD Announces Data Presentations and Webcast of Investor Briefing at the 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting
- May 17, 2013 ProteomicFx Launches Website And Groundbreaking Kinase Assay
- May 14, 2013 Ce3 Inc.'s Holly Coulter to Present at 2013 "The Inaugural Forum on Optimizing Clinical Research Performance" Conference
- May 9, 2013 David Gammell and Edwin Pease have joined WilmerHale's Boston office as partners in the Corporate Practice
- May 7, 2013 FDA Grants Fast Track Designation for Cubist’s Late-Stage Antibiotic Candidate