The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 620 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life sciences issues.
Director of Communications
300 Technology Square, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
View the 620 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- October 29, 2014 StratAcuity Proud to Complete the Proteostasis Therapeutics Cystic Fibrosis Inaugural Clinical Advisory Board Search
- October 28, 2014 Corbus Pharmaceuticals Commences Trading on OTCQB under Ticker Symbol CRBP
- October 24, 2014 GE Healthcare Life Sciences wins prestigious bioprocessing industry award
- October 21, 2014 Liftstream report finds ten men for every woman present in biotech boardrooms
- October 21, 2014 Voyager Therapeutics Commemorates Opening of New Headquarters