The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 620 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life sciences issues.
Director of Communications
300 Technology Square, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
View the 620 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- April 24, 2014 Hydra Biosciences and Boehringer Ingelheim Announce Worldwide Collaboration to Develop Small-Molecule Inhibitors for the Treatment of Central Nervous System Diseases and Disorders
- April 16, 2014 Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. Donates Laboratory Equipment to Massachusetts General Hospital to Aid in Research of Neurological Disorders
- April 16, 2014 Mark Pottle Joins GNS Healthcare as CFO
- April 10, 2014 Massachusetts Life Sciences Center and five global biopharma companies announce Round 2 of funding from the Massachusetts Neuroscience Consortium
- April 9, 2014 Nuclea Raises $4.48 Million in Convertible Note Financing & Secures New, Strategic U.S. Patent