The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 620 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life sciences issues.
Director of Communications
300 Technology Square, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
View the 620 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- September 2, 2014 Rafer SL invests in Spanish NGS leader Era7 Bioinformatics to accelerate Era7's International expansion plan
- August 27, 2014 DPx Holdings B.V. Reaches Definitive Agreement to Acquire Gallus BioPharmaceuticals
- August 26, 2014 Vince & Associates Clinical Research Adds Facial Recognition Security to Pharmacy
- August 21, 2014 Gallus Enters Agreement with Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for Manufacture of Anti-PSMA Monoclonal Antibody
- August 21, 2014 Newly-named to Inc. 5000, Regulatory and Quality Solutions LLC (R & Q) expands into Boston’s medical device industry market