The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 620 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life sciences issues.
Director of Communications
300 Technology Square, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
View the 620 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- July 8, 2014 Epilepsy Foundation Collaborating on Personalized Drug Discovery Platform for Epilepsy With Intellimedix and Pfizer Inc.
- July 8, 2014 MLSC launches the first round of Fiscal Year 2015 Accelerator Loan Program
- July 7, 2014 NextCODE, University College Dublin’s ACoRD Take Aim at Genetic Causes of Autism and Rare Diseases
- July 3, 2014 TGA Sciences Announces Collaboration with CyVek for New Immunoassay Testing Platfo
- July 1, 2014 Moderna Appoints Oncology Leader Dr. Stephen Kelsey as President of Onkaido