The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 600 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life science issues.
Director of Communications
One Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
View the 600 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- June 19, 2013 NUCLEA BIOTECHNOLOGIES AND BERKSHIRE MEDICAL CENTER ANNOUNCE RESEARCH AGREEMENT
- June 11, 2013 Second Round Success: Massachusetts and Israel continue to support R&D collaborations in the life sciences
- June 10, 2013 Unique degree program fills void in biotech industry
- June 7, 2013 Patheon-Sponsored Event to Highlight “Product Enhancement Through Complex Dosage Forms: Adding Value to Products’ Lifecycle Management”
- June 5, 2013 Mass Nonprofit Network Nominates Addgene for an Excellence Award