The Massachusetts Biotechnology Council represents more than 620 biotechnology companies and organizations involved with the industry. We are available to comment and provide background on public policy, economic development, education, workforce development and other key life sciences issues.
Director of Communications
300 Technology Square, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
View the 620 biotechnology companies, universities, academic institutions that make up our membership list.
Biotechnology in Massachusetts
Biotechnology, drug research based on biology rather than chemicals, emerged as an industry separate from traditional pharmaceuticals about 30 years ago. Massachusetts soon became a leader in the young field. After nearly three decades of growth, the state is one of the most significant centers in the world.
- There are more than 400 biotechnology companies in the state, of which 235 are developing therapeutic drugs.
- The industry employs over 45,000 people with a total payroll of more than $4 billion.
- Massachusetts-based biopharmaceutical companies have already developed more than 50 large molecule drugs covering a range of illnesses.
- There are nearly 1,100 biotechnology drugs being developed in Massachusetts, representing close to 8 percent of the global drug pipeline.
MassBio Member News
- September 15, 2014 Scholar Rock Announces $20 Million Series A Financing
- September 12, 2014 Diversified Project Management’s 21st Annual Golf Classic Raises Over $81,000 to Benefit National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- September 11, 2014 Boston Biomedical Innovation Center (B-BIC) Spurs Biomedical Innovation by Awarding Grants that Accelerate Commercialization
- September 4, 2014 Corbus Pharmaceuticals to Present at Two Investor Conferences in September
- September 3, 2014 Kerafast Announces The University of Texas at Austin as 100th Providing Institution