State Legislative News
MassBio Expresses Concerns about Energy Ordinance
MassBio recently expressed concerns about the proposed Building Energy Reporting and Disclosure Ordinance for the City of Boston. MassBio’s letter to Mayor Menino can be found here.
Geoff MacKay named to Health Policy Commission Advisory Council
MassBio’s Chairman of the Board of Directors, Geoff MacKay, was recently named to the Health Policy Commission (HPC) Advisory Council. In his new role, Geoff Mackay will be joined by representatives from across the health care field to help guide the Health Policy Commission’s implementation of the state’s health care cost containment law. The Council will advise the HPC’s overall operations and policies, provide feedback on a grant program to support new system delivery and payment reform methods, and encourage public and stakeholder engagement in the HPC’s work. More information on the HPC and the Advisory Council can be found here.
MassBio Supports SFEIR
MassBio expresses support for Supplemental Final Environmental Impact Report (SFEIR) recently submitted by Boston University for the National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL)
Policy Leadership Breakfast – January 23, 2013
Biosimilars: Implementing Sound Policies to Ensure Patient Safety
The introduction of biosimilar and interchangeable biologics into clinical practice will present some new challenges that have not historically been present with small molecule generic medicines. Current state rules on substitution will very likely need to be updated or completely re-written in the context of biosimilar and interchangeable biologic medicines. MassBio’s Policy Leadership Breakfast held in January focused on this very issue.
Listen as our panel discusses the importance of implementing sound policies at the state level to ensure patient safety:
- Fritz Bittenbender outlines BIO’s five principles on biologic product substitution.
- Dr. David Charles discusses the importance of trust in the doctor/patient relationship.
- Professor William Hancock focuses on the need to ensure that global manufacturing is done in a very safe and effective way.
- Susan Nesci advocates for patient access to all medications in a class.
MassBio is a not-for-profit organization committed to advancing the development of critical new science, technology and medicines that benefit people worldwide.
Founded in 1985, MassBio represents over 600 biotechnology companies, academic institutions, research hospitals, and service organizations involved in life sciences and health care, and works to advance policy and promote education, while providing member programs and events, industry information, and services.
- May 8, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Massachusetts Life Sciences Hub: City Biz List - 5/6/2013
- May 8, 2013 Marlborough commended as tech hub: MetroWest Daily News - 5/7/2013
- May 6, 2013 MassBio Recognizes Marlborough as a Major Life Sciences Hub in Massachusetts: PR.com - 5/5/2013
- May 6, 2013 Elections may have big impact on tech, biotech: Boston Globe - 5/5/2013
- May 6, 2013 Life Sciences Boom Prompts Expansion For Franklin Firm: Worcester Businness Journal - 5/1/2013