Webinar: Introduction to the False Claims Act for the Generalist In-House Counsel
The False Claims Act continues to be one of the Department of Justice’s top enforcement priorities. Its reach affects companies of all types and sizes, including many in the life sciences industry. Companies that receive federal grant money, contract with the federal government or submit Medicare claims to the government could be subject to liability for submitting false claims. The False Claims Act is also unique in that a claim can be initiated by either the Department of Justice or a whistleblower. It is important for in-house counsel to understand common False Claims Act risks to effectively guard against potential claims.
Foley Hoag LLP will present a 60-minute webinar on Tuesday, December 11at 12:30 pm EST offering guidance for in-house counsel on the False Claims Act, including the basics of what the False Claims Act prohibits, potential penalties for violating the Act, current government focus areas and tips for avoiding liability.
Topics to be Discussed:
- What is the False Claims Act, and when is it applicable?
- Different types of False Claims Act claims, and how they are initiated
- The basic anatomy of a False Claims Act investigation and litigation
- Key areas of government enforcement
- How an effective compliance program can guard against liability