Top 5 News: 1/30/16-2/5/16
1) Editas Medicine raises $94.4 million in year’s first IPO – Boston Globe, 2/2/2016
Editas Medicine Inc. is poised to become the first company to go public in the United States this year after selling $94.4 million in stock on Tuesday, according to research firm Renaissance Capital.
2) Suing over drug prices, although a clever ploy, is unlikely to succeed – STAT, 2/2/2016
Everyone wants to pay less for prescription medicines, and Maura Healey believes she has found a way to make it happen: by suing drug companies for violating state consumer protection laws.
3) Drugmaker Abbott Snaps Up Alere for $5.8 Billion – PharmaLive, 2/1/2016
Waltham, Mass.-based Alere Inc. (ABT)’s stock is up more than 45 percent following news of its acquisition by Chicago-based Abbott Laboratories (ABT) this morning.
4) Sanofi to work on developing Zika vaccine – Boston Globe, 2/2/2016
Sanofi will work on developing a vaccine against Zika virus, the mosquito-borne pathogen whose explosive spread has touched off a global public health emergency.
5) Canton firm to launch painkiller after OxyContin patent claims dismissed – BBJ, 2/2/2016
Canton drugmaker Collegium Pharmaceuticals plans to launch a new abuse-deterrent painkiller within the coming months after a court ruling yesterday removed a significant hurdle that could have kept it off the market for another year and a half.