Boston/Cambridge Ranks #1 on GEN's Top 10 U.S. Biopharma Cluster List
Boston/Cambridge, MA ranks #1 in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News' "Top 10 U.S. Biopharma Clusters" list.
GEN ranks regions based on five criteria:
- NIH funding—Taken from the publicly available NIH RePORT database, for the current federal fiscal year, from its start on October 1, 2015, through March 27, 2016.
- Venture Capital (VC) funding—Taken from 2015 figures furnished by the publicly available MoneyTree Report.
- Patents—Based on the number of patents containing the word “biotechnology” awarded since 1976 in namesake cities and suburbs where key companies are located.
- Lab space—Based on total-size-of-market figures, in millions of square feet, furnished by the commercial real estate brokerage JLL in its Life Sciences Cluster Reports for 2015.
- Jobs—Based on JLL’s report. While job numbers are ranked this year compared with last year’s Top 10 US Clusters list, less weight had to be given to job totals in regions where GEN has found widespread discrepancies in job figures. However, workforce size was factored in when deciding the ultimate position of a region.