MassCONNECT links new entrepreneurs and founders with seasoned biotechnology professionals to provide industry expertise, evaluation, and guidance to help commercialize new ideas.
MassCONNECT leverages the power of distributive networks that exist within the biotechnology ecosystem. MassCONNECT has collected seasoned biotechnology professionals - covering areas essential to creating value (business development, pre-clinical development, clinical development/regulatory, marketing, PR, etc.) – and serial entrepreneurs to:
- Evaluate and provide feedback on the commercial feasibility of opportunities(technologies that may serve as the basis for start-up or presents a value-add license opportunity);
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats regarding an opportunity; act as business advisors in a team setting to give industry specific business advice;
Who should join MassCONNECT?
If you are an investigator and are interested in starting a company, collaborating with industry, and licensing your innovation to industry, then MassCONNECT will help you:
- Showcase your technology for industry experts including biopharmaceutical executives, venture capitalists, and angels;
- Connect with individuals and teams of mentors who will provide practical advice on how to increase the value of your opportunity;
- Receive coaching to prepare for investment pitches and develop concise business plans;
- Connect to resources to improve your idea;
- Connect to avenues for financing your technology development;
- Network with business professionals to build and develop your management team.
For large pharma and biotech companies, MassCONNECT is an opportunity to contribute to creating a sustainable innovation environment and help build the community of entrepreneurs. More near term, participation in MassCONNECT provides another means to augment deal flow by:
- Getting a “first look” at innovative platforms, molecules of interest, and more predictive diagnostics
- Participate in identifying, screening, and selecting cutting edge life science opportunities
- Participate in mentoring teams (to position start ups for success) around pre-funded technologies.
- Opportunity to later invest and collaborate in exciting new start-ups or acquire new technologies for drug development
Join MassCONNECT by signing on to be a Mentor or becoming a sponsor.
If you are an MBA student with life science background, we have a place for you as well!
- Work with emerging entrepreneurs on developing a business plan for the start-up
- Interact with seasoned industry professionals from pharma, biotech business development and corporate strategics groups, marketing and finance professionals, VC’s, IP attorney, etc. Check out the mentor list.
- Make the right connections with the right people
- Receive course credit from your school
MassCONNECT relies on MBA student volunteers to facilitate the program. Students work as project managers for a mentor/entrepreneur team, helping develop business plan pitch decks and acting as liaisons between mentors and entrepreneurs. The position requires 6-8 hours a week and a 10-week commitment.
Apply to be a MassCONNECT intern by sending your resume and cover letter to Rakhshita Dhar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-674-5143.
MassCONNECT is open to life sciences-based, pre-start, opportunities arising from New England based laboratories. The venture must involve the development of a new products, services, applications, or process in the life sciences area. Typically, these will include new diagnostic tests, pre-clinical therapeutic molecules, platform technologies, and/ or instrumentation.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please contact Rakhshita Dhar at email@example.com or 617-674-5143.