BUILDING IN SPACE FOR LIFE ON EARTH
- Manufacturing in Microgravity: We make revolutionary products that are impossible to make on Earth due to gravity. Our spacecraft act as platforms for manufacturing these products and bringing them back down to improve life on Earth.
- The Time Is Now: Decades of research have shown the advantage of space-produced products, and recent advances have made getting to orbit affordable. Our mission is to expand the economic bounds of humankind, taking advantage of the unique environment of space to realize benefits on Earth.
- Platform: Varda’s inaugural spacecraft will consist of three main components: satellite bus, payload factory module, and reentry capsule. The operations are described below.
- Launch: Varda production facilities are launched into orbit aboard commercial launch vehicles.
- Manufacture: Once in orbit, the production facility begins operations.
- Separate: Produced materials are then returned to Earth in Varda’s reentry vehicle.
- Return: The reentry vehicle comes home to Earth at hypersonic speeds greater than Mach 25, or 19,000 mph.
Varda Space Industries was founded in 2020 with the goal of manufacturing products in space to benefit life on Earth. Co-founders Will Bruey and Delian Asparouhov imagined a world where space could be leveraged not only for storytelling and awe but for its economic benefits. Varda was created as a platform for in-space manufacturing, with a range of real-life, on-Earth use cases. Today, we are accelerating innovation in space through our microgravity manufacturing platform, with applications including pharmaceuticals, hypersonic testing, and fiber optics.
Varda is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and has received venture funding from investors including Khosla Ventures, Lux Capital, Founders Fund, Caffeinated Capital, General Catalyst, and Also Capital.