The 22nd MassBio Golf Classic falls on Friday, September 9th this year. Those who have participated in the annual event have come to know the Golf Classic as an outing that includes a very good time on a great golf course and unsurpassed networking and merriment at the reception that follows.
For the un-anointed, I offer the following 10 things that you should know about the MassBio Golf Classic:
- It’s for an important cause, with all proceeds going to supporting the educational programs of the MassBioEd Foundation that provides lab-based training to over 150 high school science teachers who bring new Bioteach labs to thousands of students annually. These trainings help encourage the students of today to pursue the path of becoming tomorrow's life sciences leaders.
- It’s great fun! A social event at the beautiful setting of the Pinehills Golf Club in Plymouth.
- Yes, we really do golf! Teams compete for actual Golf Classic trophies and bragging rights for an entire year.
- Novice golfers have a great time as well – the Golf Classic is as much a social gathering of the biotechnology community as it is an athletic test. The format of the tournament allows for all skill levels to have fun, including the beginner.
- In past years, biotech leaders have rubbed shoulders with celebrities at the Classic, such as Hall of Fame goaltender and Bruins great Gerry Cheevers and former NFL All-Madden Team Patriots lineman Dan Connolly. This year, three-time Super Bowl Champion, New England Patriots great Joe Andruzzi will participate, and the Boston Celtics have graciously offered to make the 1986 NBA World Championship Trophy available for snapshots with attendees.
- Did I mention the golf course? With over 300 golfers, the Classic fills up both of the 18-hole golf courses of The Pinehills. Both courses, The Nicklaus and The Jones, are rated in the Top 10 public golf courses in Massachusetts by GolfWeek and Golf.com.
- The weather is [almost] always fantastic. Promising a fair weather day on the fairways in New England is notoriously problematic. But, over the past ten years, only last year's Golf Classic had been impacted by rain. That means this year’s Classic is sure to be back on the pattern as a beautiful, early September weather!
- Food! You get your three squares at the MassBio Golf Classic – a continental breakfast in the clubhouse, a superb box lunch on the course, and a reception buffet.
- With all of the Classic’s give-aways, raffle items, and silent- and live-auction items, you’ll be sure to leave with more than you came with! Among this year’s items: Patriots tickets, Red Sox tickets, Bruins tickets, Celtics tickets, airline tickets, hotel stays, restaurant gift certificates, works of art, passes to fun Massachusetts activities and yes, even some golf stuff.
- Your participation helps change lives. Year after year, the Golf Classic continues to be the single biggest fundraiser for the MassBioEd Foundation. All proceeds go to teacher training, teacher mentoring, and experiential learning for public high school students. Thanks to the Golf Classic, MassBioEd can engage teachers and inspire students in schools in every corner of Massachusetts, from Pittsfield to Pentucket to Providence.