Governor Healey to offer morning remarks
Prolific MIT inventor and biomedical engineering professor Langer to receive leadership award
Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers’ Curry to discuss health equity
Thermo Fisher Scientific Chairman, President & CEO Casper to deliver lunch keynote
CAMBRIDGE, MA – Wednesday, April 5, 2023 – MassBio’s 2023 State of Possible Conference celebrates the Massachusetts’ life sciences ecosystem, giving attendees the opportunity to learn from experts, hear from speakers, participate in talks, and expand their professional networks. “Being Bold. Looking Beyond” is this year’s focus spotlighting the state’s global role in advancing science, equity, and patient driven breakthroughs during a time of economic uncertainty.
Governor Maura Healey will provide morning remarks on her administration’s agenda to make Massachusetts more affordable, grow the state’s competitiveness, open more doors for students to pursue STEM careers, and build a pipeline of skilled workers in high-demand industries like the life sciences. Governor Healey will also sit for a conversation with MassBio CEO and President Kendalle Burlin O’Connell.
MassBio will recognize Robert Langer with the 2022 Henri A. Termeer Innovative Leadership Award. Dr. Langer, one of the most decorated scientists in the world, boasts over 1,400 issued and pending patents worldwide that have been licenses or sublicensed to over 400 pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnology, and medical device companies. Dr. Langer has received over 220 major awards, cofounded more than 40 companies, and employs over 100 researchers at his biomedical engineering lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
A fireside chat led by Tamar Thompson, Head of Corporate Affairs at Alexion Pharmaceuticals, and featuring Michael Curry, President and CEO of the Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers, will dive deep into how Massachusetts can become a leader in health equity.
Marc Casper, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer at Thermo Fisher Scientific, will be the keynote speaker during lunch. Casper leads more than 125,000 global colleagues to fulfill the company’s mission of enabling its customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer. As CEO of the largest life sciences employer in Massachusetts and a widely recognized global industry leader, Marc will bring unique insights into many facets of the biotech ecosystem, in Massachusetts and far beyond our borders, and share his perspective on the industry’s future and its collective efforts to change the course of human health.
When: Tuesday, April 25, 2023 | 8:30 AM – 8:00 PM
Where: Royal Sonesta Boston, 40 Edwin Land Blvd, Cambridge, MA 02142
- Maura Healey, Governor, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Marc Casper, President & CEO, Themo Fisher Scientific
- Michael Curry, President & CEO, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Tamar Thompson, Head of Corporate Affairs, Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Kendalle Burlin O’Connell, CEO & President, MassBio
- Panel discussions on
- Massachusetts as a forever home: Why executives pick the Bay State for the long haul
- Future of cancer care, early diagnosis, and access
- Where biotech is on ESG and how the industry can be bold going forward
- The Inflation Reduction Act’s outsized impacts on the Massachusetts ecosystem
- Embracing partnerships and innovation to ensure success in Cell & Gene Therapy
- Building a frontier for biomanufacturing in Massachusetts
- Celebratory evening reception with live entertainment and ample time for networking.
View session details here.
Interested media can register for free by contacting Ryan Boehm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsors of the 2023 State of Possible Conference include: Alexion, Corealis Pharma, Corval, Evaluate, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, KPMG, Mispro, Novartis, Sanofi, Societal CDMO, Sunovion, Takeda, Thermo Fisher Scientific, uniQure, and Vertex