MassBio’s 2024 State of Possible Conference (Wednesday | April 24) is the premier event for the Massachusetts life sciences industry. Following the next day is the Align Summit (Thursday | April 25), a partnering day for funders and small biotech and AI/ML companies.
Meeting the Moment: This year’s State of Possible theme is Meeting the Moment. Our “moment” in time is the industry growing differently than before; progress is being made on longtime unmet medical needs such as Alzheimer’s, cancer, and sickle cell; and biotechs and biopharma companies continue to deliver for patients despite unprecedented attacks on innovation. We meet this moment as we have tackled past inflection points: together as a community.
Be in the room: Attendees from the lab to the c-suite will experience engaging panel discussions on science and business, a fireside chat on state and federal affairs, an inspiring keynote from 3x Super Bowl champion and sickle cell disease advocate Devin McCourty, and ample time for networking and partnering.
- New this year, we will recognize MassBio members during an award spotlight, including the prestigious Henri A. Termeer Innovative Leadership Award to Susan Windham-Bannister, a nationally and internationally recognized expert in biopharma innovation, market access and market optimization strategies and the former President and CEO of the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center (2008-2015).
- Giving back: Ours is an industry that cares deeply about patients and the communities where they live, and we work. Join us for a Mission Moment—an interactive opportunity for you to give back in meaningful ways.
Keynote to inspire: Devin McCourty, three-time Super Bowl champion with the New England Patriots, has exceeded his success on the football field through his widespread philanthropic efforts. His “Tackle Sickle Cell” campaign has educated the public, increased blood donations, and raised money and awareness for the fight against sickle cell disease.
- As a 12-time team captain during his remarkable career, Devin has demonstrated leadership that earns respect. In his keynote, Devin will speak about what it takes to be a leader, how bringing awareness and funding to sickle cell disease has advanced health equity, and why Greater Boston continues to meet the moment for patients and their families.
- Reshma Kewalramani, CEO of Vertex Pharmaceuticals, will also discuss recent progress on transformative treatments for sickle cell disease including FDA approval of therapies developed right here in Massachusetts.
Panels to inform: Our two panels will feature top biopharma leaders sharing insights into their company’s recipe for success in research and development; the technologies and trends that will be making headlines next; pushing their companies (and their science) forward in choppy waters; and the role that Massachusetts will continue to play in drug development success.
Next day alignment: The second annual Align Summit will again put the people behind the ambitious science in the same room as the funders looking to cut a check, along with other strategic partners. For 2024, Align will focus on artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) in drug discovery and development through insight thought leadership panels.
- Presenting to win: We’ve tapped into McKinsey & Company and Locust Walk’s best-in-class depth of knowledge of early-stage startups to present two curated tracks (biotech and AI/ML R&D) featuring 50 innovative seed and Series A startups. Get all the details about each of the presenting companies. We’re grateful to Eli Lilly for their generous support of Align this year.
- Who should attend? Private funders, venture capitalists, angel investors, family investors, and strategic partners are invited and encouraged to attend. Qualified funders and investors can request a complimentary registration.
Sponsoring the days: We are grateful to our sustaining sponsors, the Massachusetts Life Sciences Centers (MLSC), Takeda, Thermo Fisher Scientific, and Vertex. Thank you to our State of Possible Conference sponsors, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (Silver), Novartis (Copper), and Societal CDMO (Copper), and Align Summit sponsors Eli Lilly, Locust Walk, and McKinsey & Company.