Innovation Week will be showcasing emerging companies and academic research aiming for transformational impacts on all patients. Keynote speakers will be bringing expert perspectives on thought-provoking topics.
- Therapeutic areas: Monday (12/5) is oncology, Tuesday (12/6) is infectious diseases (specifically, AMR), Wednesday (12/7) is cardiovascular and metabolic diseases and rare diseases, and Thursday is neuroscience.
Monday: Transforming Patient Lives Through Science is how Carolyn Dzierba, head of Immunology Chemistry at Bristol Myers Squibb, will set the tone for Innovation Week with her Monday keynote.
- Alice Pomponio, who leads the impact venture capital arm of the American Cancer Society (ACS BrightEdge), will tap into her extensive experience in life sciences and business, and her passion for the ACS’s lifesaving mission, during her presentation.
Tuesday: Redefining Massachusetts’ essential role in the global fight against AMR will take investment, collaboration, and innovation as you’ll hear from AMR Action Fund Chief Investment Officer and MassBio Board member Martin Heidecker, Ph.D., MBA on Tuesday. AMR Action Fund aims to help launch two to four new antimicrobials within the next decade.
- CARB-X is an essential global resource in advancing innovation in antibiotic discovery. Erin Duffy, PhD, Chief of Research & Development at CARB-X, will address antibiotic resistance, the lack of new drugs, and equitable access, particularly in low-income countries where need is greatest.
Thursday: The Race to Health Equity is the topic Dr. Jayne Morgan,Executive Director of Health and Community Education at Piedmont Healthcare, will cover on Thursday in the Health Equity Keynote sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Innovation. Dr. Morgan has been at the forefront of developing a response to the disproportionately negative impact of Covid-19 on minority communities.
More to come: Additional speakers to be announced in the days leading up to the Innovation Week, including stellar presenters from sponsor Astellas for Wednesday’s cardiovascular and metabolic diseases and rare diseases day.
To give you a taste of what to expect from our pitching companies, here are three of Wednesday’s leaders who will speak about anti-infectives to address antimicrobial resistance (AMR):
- V Balasubramanian, Co-Founder & Chief Operations Officer, Bugworks
- Dr. Lloyd J. Payne, D.Phil, President & Chief Executive Officer, Arrepath
- Milan Zdravkovic, MD, PhD, Chief Medical Officer, SNIPRBiome